Airline Seniority and Degrees

Hey there all,

I am currently 19 and I will have my associates very soon (6 credit hours away) and I am heavily considering switching my path from a MGSU Delta Propel program, to an ATP centered pathway, using their airline connections to my advantage. I personally see ATP as a significantly quicker way to get to the airlines versus the college propel route. My father is very concerned that I will be putting my college down the drain and that it would be a mistake to not have a bachelors degree while I am working as a pilot for delta, united, etc.

Assuming I go through the ATP pathway and make my way through CFI training, building my hours, and eventually landing at an airline job, is there any real point for a degree aside from a “backup plan”? From what I understand, the airline industry is heavily (if not entirely) centered on Seniority, and an upgrade to a bigger plane, or an upgrade to left seat, is based on time, not on who has the better degree from their college. I could be wrong but that’s why I need all of y’alls thoughts, as you guys are the real deal!

Thanks so much!

Patrick,

You are correct, once you’re hired and flying for an airline a degree becomes irrelevant. The problem however is getting to that airline. You mention Delta and they must certainly want a 4yr degree as does United. You’re correct, ATP can definitely provide a faster route (ATP, build time, Regional airline) but that route still requires a 4yr degree to be completed at some point before you get to a Major.

The fact is the Majors all want a 4yr degree and while again you’re correct it won’t help you advance within the airline, without one you most likely won’t advance at all.

Oh and at 19 I wouldn’t discount the value of a backup plan.

Adam

Adam,

I did not see a 4 yr degree requirement anywhere on the ATP website where they show the path they offer to delta. As far as I can see, once you get to your regional airline, you spend a couple years there, and then you progress to the major. I see the 2 year requirement if you choose to start from “zero time” instead of with PPL credit, but nothing about a bachelors.

Thanks!

Patrick,

You’re right it doesn’t. But what it does say is “After gaining experience as a regional airline pilot, you will then have the opportunity to progress to Delta Air Lines”. The key word is OPPORTUNITY and that means provided you meet their requirements. If you don’t, you won’t. If you look at ALL the Delta pathways they ALL require a 4yr degree. This isn’t a loophole and there isn’t one.

Adam

1 Like

How’s MGSU treating ya? I’m looking to transfer and do their online Aviation Management…

Delta, FedEx and other Major Airlines require 4yr degree.

Only real way around it I know of is American Wholly Owed Flow… but do you really want your future to rely on that?

Many pilots finish their 4yr degree while at Regional. It’s not very fun, and it requires dedication.

Point is, there are multiple ways to get the 4yr degree & start pilot career but you will need it if you want to fly for the big boys.

Chris

Patrick,

While United does not technically require a degree, I cannot think of one single pilot that I have flown with int he last five years that did not have a degree. Bottom line, you need one for the majors.

Chris