Airline - Shaving Waivers: Psedofolliculitis Barbae

Do some airlines have a process for those with a diagnosed medical condition prone to shaving bumps and ingrown hairs (tend to be people of color) to attain a shaving waiver? If not, have you seen any talk of it in your internal company’s messaging?

As a prior AF crewmwmber, I understand the safety aspect (even though I had a waiver). I understand the FAA acknowledges a beard test done in 1983 with old equipment and non-aviation respiratory equipment, but has the FAA done any modern testing (like the one Air Canada did) on the impact of beards and quick dons?

1 Like

RS,

Other than Hawaiian Airlines, I am not aware of any other airline that allows beards, regardless of the reason. The airlines feel this is a safety issue with the oxygen mask, not an appearance issue. As it is safety related, medical exemptions are not made.

Chris

RS,

I recommend reaching out to a few recruiting departments and inquiring this topic. I would try both regional and major airlines, that way you have a few answers from multiple sources.

Brady

1 Like

Thanks for the frank response. It is what it is…for now. I feel there is no reason I should have to destroy my face for a debunked safety myth. Maybe with so many airlines embracing diversity and inclusion, they will take a 2nd look at the medical impact on POC. I will definitely be bringing it up during any appropriate opportunity with airline execs.

1 Like

RS,

I’d reach out to OBAP (https://obap.org/). If this really is an issue that concerns many POC (vs just a personal medical condition) I’m sure they’re on it.

Adam

1 Like

Not really sure I understand the comment. It definitely IS a “personal medical condition”…that is widely known to affect many POC. It was enough of an issue that that the entire US military instituted shaving waivers for people suffering with PFB many decades ago. But you’re correct, OBAP is probably a great starting point to ask questions like this. Thanks.

1 Like