Airman written tests

Hi guys

Where I can find some study materials for the 6 airman tests? I would like have an idea of what each exams is about.

Thanks

Gavi,

PAR I recommend Sporty’s Study Buddy App, every written thereafter Sheppard Air, see below:

Brady

Thanks. Yes I saw your post, there is also some book to check it out?

Gavi,

I would stick with the electronic prep software. It is by far the way that most successful students prepare for the writtens.

Chris

Sure and that will be my main study materials. But I spend few hours par day driving and I would optimize my time listen to a book while in a car and improve my knowledge.

Gavi,

The written tests are best accomplished with rote memory. I know it sounds crazy but it’s really just an item on a checklist to be completed. The electronic prep ware is the best way to prep for them efficiently. Now the textbooks on tape could be valuable once you start flight training and are looking to learn the knowledge.

Hannah

So if I’m not wrong you suggest run the tests tons of times and memorize all the questions and answers out of a contest. I download study buddy but it does not have reading materials on it beside tests.

Exactly!

Adam

Gavi,

They typically tell you the best way to get the answers to stick. Go through each section with answers only showing, then again with all the answer options. Then the entire bank of questions same way. Once you’ve done that then start taking practice tests. If you get in the 90s, the protocol worked. Get a few 90s in a row, then go take the test. If you don’t get consistent high scores, go back and run the protocol again.

Hannah

Hi Hannah,

I am enrolling in flight school next fall. I have 2 questions
1.) Given the knowledge exam expires in 24 months, is it recommended the enrolling student take the test before the flight classes begin?

2.) Do you know of any free study tools, should that be the case (Exams4pilots had been recommended, but it appears it was shut down)

Thanks!
-Alex

Alex,

1. As long as you’re going to finish your training within the 24mos you’re fine. If you have any doubts, wait.

2. Sporty’s Study Buddy

Adam

1 Like

Alex,

As Adam said, you should be fine. If you are 6 months out from starting, then 7 months of the program you still have a fudge factor of 11 months before they would expire.

I used the ASA prep apps. It’s very similar to sportys. Just a preference!

Hannah

1 Like

Alexander,

I’m with Hannah on the 6 months out starting from training, having the buffer can help if there is any delays in training. Plus, I always thought the PAR and IRA were the longest ones to study because testing can be different than you have before.

There are tons of PAR study apps, if you go to Google and type “PAR Study Apps” you will find loads. ATP recommends Sporty’s Study Buddy, but you may use whichever. ASA is another. Private Pilot Test Prep is also another one. I got a hit result of 218,000,000 on Google for “PAR Study Apps.”

Brady