Studying for the written exams

I start ATP Oct 3rd, and would like to study for the written exams in advance in order to have a head start. I have the Sporties study buddy app I’ve read about in other forms but don’t know where to start in the books or how to prepare for each test. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m starting from zero.

(Sorry if this topics already been addressed)

Alex,

The Study Buddy is all you need for the FAA PAR knowledge exam. The idea is to simply study the questions and answers and learn them by rote memorization. While this might not sound like a good idea, what you need to keep in mind is the FAA Knowledge exams don’t follow the curriculum and the information is difficult to grasp without context. All you’re doing at this point is checking a box. The knowledge and understanding will come later.

After that we recommend Sheppard Air for the remaining exams.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you for the prompt response and clarification!

1 Like

Alex,

Yes exactly what Adam said. Rote memorization. Don’t question it just do that :joy:. No but seriously just study the questions and memorize the corresponding answers.

All I would add is for the charts (density altitude, wind velocity, etc…) is to look up on YouTube how to use the charts as I found the Study Buddy’s explanations not great. But besides that the questions on the actual PAR test are almost identical.

Yehuda

1 Like

Alex,

Just memorize the answers. period. There will be time for actually learning the material later, right now you just need to focus on finishing the exams. With a month to go, you should be able to finish several of the exams.

Chris

1 Like

Hey Adam, Hope all is well! I just got onto this forum a day or so ago. I’m just looking aound before I apply for ATP school to get as much info as possible. Is the study buddy App good for the PAR knowledge exam only or any of the other exams as well. Should I look into anything else at this point to help me prep or is this all knowledge you gain while in school. Thanks!

Shawn,

We like Sporty’s for the PAR and Sheppard Air for the remaining 5 exams. Keep in mind the writtens expire after 24mos if you haven’t taken the practical exam so I wouldn’t start too early unless you’re certain you’re going to start.

Adam

Awesome! Thanks for the info!