Am I a student?

Am I a student…legally? A lot of things have reduced costs or are specifically for people who are considered “full-time students” legally, which normally is indicated by 12 credit hours per semester. Do you legally count as a student at a flight school in general? And if yes, does being an ATP student count as full-time since I’m at the TC 7 days per week most weeks?

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew,

That’s a great question and frankly one I don’t believe I’ve seen ever (kudos)? To be honest that may be a question for admin but I don’t believe you are.

According to the IRS, “A full-time student at a school that has a regular teaching staff, course of study, and a regularly enrolled student body at the school”. As a flight school ATPs instructors or independent contractors and not a “regular teaching staff” and I don’t believe they have what’s considered a “student body” in the traditional sense.

That all said I could be wrong. Hopefully someone with a bigger brain in admin will chime in.

Adam

I appreciate the response, and I was sort of thinking along the same lines. If nothing else, I’ll shoot some emails and see if someone in admin might know, if none reply here.

Thanks for the input, have a nice day :slight_smile:

Andrew,

I doubt it, but recommend you do some digging to find out. You might get into the differences between part 61 and 141 here. I think it also matters who is asking. If it is Verizon asking to give you a discount, then by all means, yes you are one. If it iOS the IRS or a bank asking, I would make sure to read their definition of “student” and answer accordingly.

Chris

1 Like

I did some looking into this too. Like Chris said, I think it boils down to what we’re looking at/who’s asking. I got a student discount on my iPad, but nobody asked for any proof. That being said, we don’t have student IDs or student emails, so we won’t be able to get the student discount for Apple music. What I really want to know, though, is whether we qualify as a “full-time student” for tax-filing purposes, as Adam mentioned. It’s also not a traditional curriculum/semester schedule. I think it’s treated more like a trade school, because I didn’t qualify for a FAFSA through ATP.
That being said, I’m in the same boat, so don’t take my word for it.