ATP 80 hour TT

Hello! Does anyone know if the 80 TT prerequisite to start from private with ATP includes any sim time that you have completed towards your private or thereafter? Thanks

The 80 hour prerequisite is strictly flight time. If you are short on this time contact ATP and see if the option to fly the extra time needed is available at your intended location.

Thomas,

It helps you meet Commercial Pilot Experience minimums. If you start the
program with exactly 80 hours, fly each lesson at ATP exactly as scheduled
and credit exactly 50 hours of AATD (sim) time to your commercial
eligibility, you will have exactly enough time to be eligible for the
commercial check ride.

Tory

1 Like

Thomas,

You hit the nail right on the head. The 80 hours are required to meet the minimums for the commercial license. The requirements would be the same at any other part 61 flight school, even if they do not directly advertise it.

Chris

1 Like

Thomas,

It took me about fourteen months to get my PPL from a local flight school. It was one excuse after another with them, from broken airplanes, to instructor availability, to waiting for ridiculous part 141 stage checks. The whole process took way too long and ended up costing far more than it should have.

Chris

I just met a young man who’s up to $25k, still no PPL. It’s criminal. I don’t want to turn this into another commercial but everyone thinks there’s a better, cheaper, faster way. Maybe there is but I haven’t seen or heard of it. I’m not on here to sell anyone anything. I can’t say I made a mistake because I simply wanted to fly recreationally and being an airline pilot was not something I believed I could be. For the thousandth time I have the greatest job on the planet and have learned a few things one of which is IF you really want to be a professional pilot you can’t mess around, you need to get serious and you need to train like a professional and that means ATP.

Adam

2 Likes

Thomas,

How close are you to be finished? That seems extremely excessive.

Chris

Chris, so you mean 80 hours TT not PIC, correct?

I just checked my logbook last night. I have 43 hours and still have some solo requirements that aren’t met which will likely take me to 75 hours after recurrent training and checkride.

Sergey,

Yes it’s 80 TT.

Adam

Sergey,

I do mean 80 hours total time. Of course, the admissions department has the final word on all such things.

Chris

Thomas it’s got nothing to do with the Aviation Gods as they are kind and merciful. It’s the nature of the beast.

Adam

1 Like

If I could chime in, I would agree with Adam. I am currently trying to get my PPL as well. I am a part of a club and spend only $65 hr. tachtime, which is pretty good. I finished all of my time before signing up for ATP, so I figured I would complete the checkride before starting. However, it is taking much more time and if you aren’t flying everyday, it becomes that more frustrating and discouraging. If you aren’t in it everyday then there are certain basic flying skills that don’t become second nature. Take it as you will, but it would have been nice to start from zero time and not have to reteach myself due to bad habits, lack of flying, etc.