ATP Airline Hiring "Partners"

I saw several airline logos on the ATP website in the Airline Hiring & Placement section. In addition to the logos it mentions “and 57 more airlines” but there doesn’t seem to be a way to see the 57 others. I’m interested to know if they have an arrangement with Empire - specifically Ohana by Hawaiian (I live in Honolulu).

Thanks

If you want to fly for Hawaiian your best bet is probably to attend ATP and go fly for SkyWest or Compass airlines. I do know of others that were hired from other airlines but I have seen from multiple sources they like the two I mentioned. When you reach Hawaiiian Airlines minimums start applying. From what I have gathered, Hawaiian likes jet experience and that the applicant fits well with the company. The employee “fitting” in the company is probably the most important part. Luck you have a leg up sonce you live in Hawaii. They like people with ties to the island from what I have heard. I want to fly for Hawaiian so I’ve looked into anything that will help me. I lived in Honolulu for 4 years. I hope that helps me one day. I’m sure that Adam will chime in as he would know more about Ohana.

Frank,

Hawaiian actually offers Ohana pilots a guaranteed interview and travel benefits, something no other Regional does. While I don’t believe ATP (or any other flight school) has a specific “partnership” with Ohana, they need pilots and if you have the required licenses, ratings and time (AND no major blemishes), you will get hired.

Adam

How long do you have to be at Ohana to get the guaranteed interview?

Skywest and Compass - thanks for the info. I really want to get hired by Ohana and then move on to Hawaiian but putting all my eggs in one basket is risky.

Jeremy,

I believe (?) long enough to meet Hawaiian’s minimums and of course we have to be hiring.

Adam

Adam

You mentioned that Ohana needs pilots, but on their website there are no openings for FOs. Do you think they’ll be hiring in the future?

Frank,

Probably. Island Air shut down and I know they grabbed a bunch which brought them to proper staffing for a bit. I mean that’s the thing, relationships or not, they have to have openings.

Adam

Frank,

You can call it risky but I like to refer to as putting yourself in the best position to achieve your dream. I’ve heard of people taking multiple different approaches. One guy was at a regional (Mesa) and instead of upgraded to Captain there, he choose to go to Spirit. He was only at Spirit before he reach Hawaiians minimums and was hired by them. He was born in Honolulu and lived there until he left for flight training (at ATP) and got through the whole process pretty quick. Long story short, if Hawaiian is where you want to end up, don’t get so dead set on Ohana. There are many different ways to get to Hawaiian. Ohana is only one of them.

Jeremy,

As a current pilot with Hawaiian I’m going to respectfully disagree with Jeremy. While he’s correct there are many routes the hardest part of the process is getting an interview. While Hawaiian has hired from EVERY Regional in the country, I also know pilots from EVERY Regional (including SkyWest and Compass) who have been trying for a decade to get an interview and can’t. Hawaiian can be a tough nut to crack. To this day when I jumpseat on other Majors and say I’m from Hawaiian they all look up and you can see them wondering how I did it? Truth is there is no formula or secret password. The fact you live in Hawaii is huge so that’ll help. The other aspect of Ohana is their pilots often jumpseat on Hawaiian and visa versa so it gives you the opportunity to network which is also huge.

Do as you like but if I were doing it again I’d go with Ohana.

Adam

Thanks for all of the insight!

Adam,

I didn’t mean to not worry about Ohana and go the route I said, I was simply saying that if you don’t get on at Ohana it’s not the end of the world. Just don’t give up because IT IS possible to get there another way. Tougher? Yeah probably but it is possible. You didn’t work for Ohana and neither did many other pilots. Once I get through training and get my hours up, I’m seriously considering Ohana simply for that guaranteed interview. You know any kinds of numbers on how many of the Ohana pilots get hired on?

I honestly couldn’t give you any real numbers but there have been a few in every class this year. As with most partnerships, Hawaiian can’t afford to cannibalize Ohana.

Adam