Strongly Considering ATP..couple of questions

Hi guys,
Thank you so much for taking time to respond to everyone on here. This forum has been so helpful. I have read a lot which has answered a lot of my questions. However I read an article yesterday that brought up a concern.

If I could get some clarification about this that would be great.
I am 25 and I have a four year degree from the university of Hawaii. I am back living in California for the time being and have realized I need a career change and thinking about becoming a pilot makes me so excited. I have always been infatuated with flying as a little girl but it never dawned on me that this could be an actual career option. My ultimate dream would be to fly for Hawaiian one day. My heart is there and all I’ve ever wanted since I was a child was to live there hence why I went to college there. So Adam I am living vicariously through you! You have worked hard to get to where you are.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks, Taryn

Aloha Taryn,

Ok so here’s the deal, ATP is not for everyone. The program was created by AIRLINE PILOTS to train AIRLINE PILOTS. It’s not for the faint of heart. The training is intense and requires hard work and dedication. While flying planes isn’t ticket science the reality is not everyone with the desire and funds can or should be a pilot. I personally don’t know a single. SUCCESSFUL student who required any additional training. The fact is again the program isn’t for everyone and its much easier to blame ATP then admit perhaps you didn’t work as hard as you should’ve or maybe you’re just not that good. Problem is if you can’t get through ATPs program, what makes a person think they can get through actual airline training?

Adam

1 Like

Hi there,
Thanks for the quick response. And thanks for the clarification. I guess the article made it seem like the extra training was typical and required by ATP so I guess it makes sense now and that was not the case with this student.

With that said and I know this is a long way out and every persons journey is different but what is your best suggestion to get to Hawaiian airlines? Is there a specific regional airline you suggest trying to get in with or anything else you can advice? Thank you so much for your time.
Aloha
Taryn

Taryn,

While nothing is guaranteed there’s basically 2 routes I see newhires taking. Flight instruct, build your time go to Compass or Skywest then apply to Hawaiian or come back to Hawaii, get hired at Mokolele flying caravans then go to Ohana. Ohana pilots get guaranteed interviews.

Regardless Hawaiian is HUGE on internal recommendations. I’m sure you or your family know someone who works here. Start talking to them and make friends :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

Thank you so much :blush: