ATP-Chicago Review

Hi!

I am starting ATP Chicago in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone here attended the Chicago location and what their thoughts are on it? I am from Chicago which is why I originally chose this location, however I have the opportunity to relocate to either Denver, PHX, or Nashville if desired.

Obviously, the weather here is awful and I would not want to (hopefully) stay to instruct here. Since moving is on the table now, I was wondering if anyone who attended the Chicago location could share their thoughts and if they would choose to do it there again etc.

Best,
C

Carli,
Welcome to the forum! I did not attend or instruct at Chicago but I was a lead in the eastern region that includes Chicago. It’s a big training center with lots of airplanes and certainly gets the job done when the weather is good but they consistently had problems keeping students programs moving forward at the pacing necessary in the winter months. Obviously you’re starting at the best time, late spring and could get most of your program done before any winter weather hits.
Phoenix is one of the largest locations for obvious reasons, the weather is perfect most of the year for flight training. However starting soon you would have to endure Phoenix summer flying where most training events occur in the very early morning hours and at night where the temps are more manageable. Nashville is a smaller location but definitely still quality. It will get some summer thunderstorms from time to time but nothing you wouldn’t get anywhere along the southeast. With smaller locations, you get to know your instructors and other students well with lots of one on one time. However, aircraft availability can be more of a challenge. Less students means less aircraft slotted for that location so if a plane goes in to MX it could make finding another plane more tricky.
As you can see, there is no perfect location. If it’s a big sacrifice to go elsewhere, stick with Chicago and you will be just fine. If you want to go elsewhere, you’ve got some solid options. All have their benefits and drawbacks and more so what’s convenient for you, the best cost and what will give you the best experience as a student.

-Hannah

I am starting my training May 3rd at the Chicago location at Chicago executive. Very excited!

I start May 3rd, too! Excited to meet you!

Hi Hannah,

This is really helpful! I was able to speak to other ATP graduates who went to the Nashville and the AZ locations and both had really positive things to say, too! Overall, it seems like whatever happens they are all really good options but I really appreciate the response! Can I ask which location you did your training at?

Best,
C

Carli,

Weather in Chicago can be a bit troublesome in the winter, but there are several months when the weather is really nice. Every location has its weather issues, it just varied, but in the end things tend to balance out. I would simply pick the location that works best for you and go from there.

Chris

Carli,
I was a student and instructor at the Concord (Charlotte, NC) location.

-Hannah