ATP Flight training in New Jersey and/or New York

Hello All,
I have only been studying this forum for a couple days now and have learned a great deal as well as increased my excitement about being a participant in ATP training and career opportunities. Thank you to all who contribute.

I am 38 and will be living in NYC within the next month to start a new life with my wife whom has a great job there. I have been saving and studying for 2 years in preparation for entering aviation as a career.

Hopefully, I will be accepted into an ATP program at either the New Jersey (closer for me) or Long Island location. I would like to fulfill the airline pilot career path all the way; including working as a CFI for ATP until I hit the magic (and required) 1,500.

My questions are simple:
Can anyone speak to their experience or knowledge regarding either of these locations? I’m looking for any information really.

Assuming I am successful in the program, I would like to stay in the area as a CFI. I have read and understand ATP policy regarding location placements. I also understand they constantly change. However, I have also read that, at least the New Jersey location, is not exactly a sought after placement.

Does anyone know if there is a better likelihood to get a placement at either of these locations vs. a busier location like Mesa?

Perhaps there’s no way to really answer these. I’m just very curious to know.

Thank you in advance for you time and consideration.

Cheers, Jason.

Jason,

I instructed in Jersey (TTN) and yes I had no issues getting that location. You need to know as you stated no location is guaranteed and more important any location is dynamic as far as students and staffing but yes you’ll generally have a better shot at the less popular locations.

Adam

Hi Jason,

I’m a current student at Trenton. I’m assuming you are debating between Islip (Long Island) and Morristown.

Both have nice locations with Morristown having the upstairs of an office block and Islip being right in the front door of Sheltair. Both have a good amount of instructors (Morristown has I think 9 instructors and I think Islip has about the same) I don’t see getting admitted to either one being an big issue (pending fulfilling all the other requirements).

I will say this the Presidential TFR when President Trump is in Bedminster sits right on Morristown so for some weekends and usually 2 weeks at the end of the summer there will be a flight hold on that location. I only mention it because it will be there next year if you enroll now while he is still in office and depending on the election a possible 4 more years.

Islip doesn’t get affected by the Presidental TFR for Bedminster or when he is in Manhattan.

Both locations while I have been there for short stints have been to the ATP standards you will find across the board.

Thank you Adam for your input! It’s potentially good news and I suppose since there’s 2 ATP locations near New York my chances kind of double for a placement there.

I’m also assuming that since there’s so many major airports in the NY/NJ area it won’t be a big stretch to hope I eventually get at least an interview with a regional that’s based out of the same area.

Tom,
Thank you for the insight. The presidential flight hold is something I would have never guessed or even considered so definitely good to know. Still, not too much of a pain since it isn’t all the time.

Really thank you again and perhaps we’ll meet some day.

Cheers, Jason.

Getting based in the NYC area is generally not a problem for most pilots. The bases there tend to not be desired by many pilots due to the high cost of living.

Chris,
That’s reassuring news. I know there’s is not a guarantee, but I thought cost of living might drive many away. Fortunately for me, I’m moving to NYC regardless and now I need to figure out what I’m going to do there.

Thank you again!

Jason.