ATP Instructor job

Hello,

I was wondering about what the instructor job entails. Do you build your multi engine/IFR hours or are you expected to teach a lot of single engine VFR/brand new ATP student flights?

Respectfully,
David

David,

Hopefully some of the new instructors will chime in as the program has changed some since I completed it but I think it’s safe to say D) all of the above.

Since the ATP program takes students from their initial Private training through their Instrument, Commercial, and Multi ratings (CFI’s must be trained by 2 yr CFIs) you’d be doing all of it. I found it enjoyable as it changed often AND helped keep ALL your skills sharp.

Adam

David,

It is both. You would be teaching the exact program that you just went through.

Chris

You’ll get a mix of both but I hesitate to say you’ll get much multi time until much later in your hour building. The way the program is structured now there is less multi time to go around, and for what seems to be liability purposes most multi instructors have 1000+ hours. It is possible you may very well go into the airlines with just the multi time you build while in the program.

Caleb

David,

It’s mostly single engine VFR and IFR flying. I had over 300 multi in my logbook, but that was back when ATP offered the 100 multi engine program. Hopefully a more recent grad can share their numbers with us.

Tory

Thanks everyone!

Each location has one multi engine instructor that does that training. I’m flying in the skyhawk every day doing both VFR and IFR training.

Patrick,

So, how much multi time do you have?

Tory

I have 51.2 hours, so I am good for airline minimums. It does put you at a disadvantage if your main goal is corporate operators since I’ve heard they value multi time.

If someone’s goal is to fly corporate, they also need to find a way to get some turbine experience too. Low time pilots usually get this by networking around the airport, regardless of where one chooses to teach.

Tory