Multi-Engine Add On Opinions

Morning team,

Seeking opinions on whether ATP’s Multi-Engine Add On to my training might make me a more competitive candidate for:

• A CFI position at ATP
  • FO position at a regional (eventually)

Saw some older posts kicking around this topic, just wondering if the post-COVID hiring environment might cause extras like this to be more valuable.

Hope everyone has a great Monday,

cg

Chris,

Do you mean the MEI rating, or just the commercial multi? Either way, they are both required to be an ATP CFI. That aside, ATP generally only hires students that went through the whole Airline Career Pilot Program as they know the school and its methods better than anybody.

Chris

Hi @Chris, I am specifically talking about the 100+ Hour Multi Engine Option I see on the ATP website, which appears to be an “add on” to the usual program.

Chris,
I don’t think it will necessarily make you more competitive to get an instructor position with atp unless your trying to get the Multi position specifically. But as always, the more multi time the more competitive you are in the application process. With that being said, it’s pretty expensive and adds more time to your program before you begin instructing and making an income again so if financing is an issue I wouldn’t recommend it.

-Hannah

1 Like

Chris,

The 100hr option is actually to make you more competitive if you DON’T want to be a Regional FO. If your goal is the Regionals the standard Career Pilot program will provide you with sufficient ME time to meet the Regional requirements. If however your goal were to fly corporate or something other than the Regionals, many of those jobs require more ME time so the 100hr option would be beneficial.

Adam

4 Likes
  • Great insight @Adam, that make sense now that I think about it.
  • Something that cost MORE time and MORE money, would need a pretty good reason to take on that double whammy. Thanks @Hannah!

Chris,

I think the 100 hour option is a great option. We have returned to a time where qualifications matter and every bit of multi time makes you that more qualified.

Chris

2 Likes

Don’t need 100hr ME.

I usually tell people an MEI is good to have as it opens the door to flying GA Multi Engine Aircraft. Can give BFR and IPC checks in Multis, Instruct at Flight school in multi engines, and contract fly Barron’s or 310s, etc for the owners, pipeline patrol, etc. Having my MEI and networking helped get more flying opportunities.

That being said, I know multiple pilots who got their Multi rating with the minimum time and never flew a AMEL again until Airlines. Usually because the Companies/Owners they asked required more AMEL time. So the 100hr program can help meet insurance / corporate minimums to get a job.

1 Like

Hi First post here and reviving this old post.

I am considering enrolling at the PAE location soon and am considering the 100hr ME option. This is mostly due to the fact that there’s a good chance that I will pursue corporate aviation.

I am 55yo and this is a second career so time is a little more important than money, to some extent. I have about 90 hours and my PPL.

Does anyone know how the 100 hour option is structured? Do you actually add 75 hours to the total program or do you substitute some of the single engine hours out?

Thanks!

Greg,

This is the current timeline for Credit Private 100-HR Multi-Engine is broken down in this order:

You’ll start with Instrument in the Single-Engie (Archer/Skyhawk) while conducting SIM lessons in the FRASCA. This phase is around 28 days.

• 30 Hours of Flight Time SE
  • 20 Hours of FRASCA AATD (Sim)

After the 28 days the program allocates 7 days to complete the Private Multiengine Add-On.

• 8 Hours of Flight Time ME
  • 5 Hours of FRASCA AATD (Sim)
  • 2 Hours of Checkride Time (ME)

When you pass your Private Multiengine Add-On, you will resume Instrument training in the Seminole for around 30 days.

• 30 Hours of Flight Time ME
  • 18 Hours of FRASCA AATD (Sim)

Successfully completing your Instrument checkride, you will be evaluated for Crew (where you and another student will partake in some of the coolest adventures); This phase lasts average 18 days according to a timeline I am currently viewing.

• 4 Hours of Flight Time Crew Evaluation
  • 35 Hours of Flight Time Crew ME

Upon returning from Crew, you will complete your Commercial Multi-Engine Phase where you will take your checkride initially in the Seminole, timeline shows 13 days. Furthermore you will begin training in the Single-Engine for Commercial SE Add-On.

• 10 Hours of Flight Time ME
  • 5 Hours of FRASCA AATD (Sim)
  • 14 Hours of Flight Time SE
  • 2 Hours of Checkride Time (SE)

Having completed the Single-Engine Add-On checkride, you will begin CFI Academy where you will have 2 weeks of ground school (virtually, at this time) and then travel to one of many ATP CFI Academy locations for the flight training and checkride. When you have the CFI certificate in hand, you will then return back to your home training center to complete the CFI-I and MEI Add-Ons.

• 10 Hours of Flight Time, CFI (SE)
  • 2 Hours of Checkride Time, CFI (SE)
  • 4 Hours of Flight Time, CFI-I (SE)
  • 2 Hours of Checkride Time, CFI-I (SE)
  • 4 Hours of Flight Time, MEI (ME)
  • 2 Hours of Checkride Time, MEI (ME)

I hope this helps, I went ahead and tried to summarize quickly what a timeline for Credit Private 100-HR ME program from one of my current students. For more information you may visit the link below. These times are to date programs dated 3/11/2022, times may change depending on program and student needs.

100+ Hour Multi-Engine Option Airline Career Pilot Program / ATP Flight School

Brady

1 Like

Hi Brady,

Thank you for the detailed response! That helps quite a bit actually.

Now I just have to figure out how much that actually helps to get a job in the corporate world.

Greg

Greg,

The best way to find out about that is by contacting recruitment departments for corporate companies.

Brady

I have new contact that is head of international flight ops for a local company I am supposed to have a meeting with soon. So, hopefully he should be able to answer that.
Thanks!

Greg,

I’m a huge fan of the 100hr option. Back in the day that was actually the only option and that’s how the program was structured. Due the pilot shortage and the fact that ME time was no longer a minimum for the Regionals (beyond what’s required for an ATP), ATP went to the current format to offer a more economical option. While the current format works really well, I personally really enjoyed doing the majority of my training in a complex twin. I feel it added an additional level to my training which upped my game.

Obviously your call but if money isn’t an issue I’d seriously consider it.

Adam

1 Like

Hi Adam,
I think I would enjoy the extra ME time as well and being in the NW I hope to get more actual as well. The more experience gained as close to real world flying would be beneficial.
Thanks,
G

Greg,

I also am a big fan of the 100 hour program as well. If you are looking at going into the corporate world, the extra multi time could really help. Beyond that, managing a more complex airplane is, well, more complex, and really helps to build pilot schools. Plus let’s face it, the Seminole is just a fun airplane to fly.

Now don’t get me wrong, either option will get you to where you need to be, but I do feel that the 100 hour option is the better of the two, especially if you do not wish to work at the airlines.

Chris

Greg,

I concur with Chris’ statement about the Seminole:

It’s like a little rocket ship when you’re used to a single-engine like Archer or Skyhawk. :rocket:

Brady