Average hours of ATP CFI

Hello, I have looked on the ATP website about CFI pay. I have read on many forums that pay isn’t as good as other flight schools. And this may be true but I want to look at the big picture of it. (Since there is tuition reimbursement, and pay goes up the more you fly) This is what I got from the ATP website as far as pay

"The More You Fly, The More You Earn

ATP offers more flying than any other academy, college, or small FBO, allowing you to meet your career objectives faster than anywhere else. As an ATP flight instructor, the more you fly, the more you earn, with an increasing flight hour rate based on how much you fly.

Request Free Info Packet

In addition to a $1,150 per month ground school guarantee and other rates for FTD hours, evaluations, exam proctoring, and introductory training flights, the hourly pay rate per flight hour increases with the number of hours flown that month.

• Fly more than 100 hours per month: $23.00 / Hr
  • Fly more than 80 hours per month: $17.25 / Hr
  • Fly more than 60 hours per month: $11.50 / Hr
  • Fly less than 60 hours per month: $8.63 / Hr
  • $100 (Private, Instrument, Commercial) and $50 (add-on rating) Bonus when your applicants pass the oral portion of a practical test on the first attempt"

What are the average hours per month? Can you expect to do more then 80 per month working 5 days a week? I know it will vary depending on weather and other factors so I’m just wondering what a reasonable amount of hours an ATP CFI can expect to fly per month? Thanks

Aaron,

I believe the average is about 75hrs a month working 5 days. Those working weekends get closer to 100. Yes there may be flight schools that pay more and you’re more than welcome to work for one of those. Your choice.

Adam

Aaron,

I flew about 75-80 hours per month as an ATP CFI, I wouldn’t expect that it has changed much since then.

Chris

Thanks for the information guys.

Aaron,

I averaged 60 hours a month. I know that’s low. I did A LOT of ground with my students. I was passionate about it. I think the average is between 75-80.

Tory

1 Like