Background Check

I was arrested, not convicted, for a DUI a couple years ago. I have no prior criminal record and served honorably in the military. I have no other issues in my background not even a ticket. Are my hopes of getting into the Airline Industry for a major carrier complete gone?

Jimmy,

The general rule of thumb is 10yrs past a single DUI AND squeaky clean record and you should be fine.

Your first obstacle will be getting your First Class Medical. You are required to report it which will trigger a series of hoops you’ll need to jump through but it’s def doable.

Fun fact: people sometimes think I just won’t say anything and roll the dice. When (not if) the FAA discovers it they can and often will pull ALL your licenses as is their right.

Adam

1 Like

Jimmy,

Try and get your first class medical. It could be a lengthy and difficult process going through the HIMS program. You’ll want to evaluate how much you’re determined to enter this career through that process.

Then as Adam said, the best thing you can do is put time and a clean record between you and the occurrence. Then when asked, admit all wrongdoing and be accountable to your decisions. That’s the only way an airline might take a chance and hire you.

Hannah

1 Like

Jimmy,

I do not see this as being a deal breaker. Just make sure to keep your record absolutely clean moving forward.

Chris

1 Like

Chris,

Thank you for your input. You were very helpful. That was for sure a one time occurrence.

Adam,

This was extremely helpful. I was looking for a pilot’s input on if it was possible before I made the final decision to invest in flight training. Thank You!

Hannah,

Thank you for your input. I will do whatever it takes to get there. I just wasn’t sure if it would be a disqualification automatically.

Jimmy,

I would consult with an AME about acquiring a medical:

If you need the links to the FAA MedXpress and nearest AME, you can visit ATP’s enrollment page and scroll down to the screenshot above box:

Brady