Becoming pilot with DUI

Hello,

I am wondering if my chances of becoming a pilot are completely gone due to a DUI I had back in 2014. I am seriously considering attending the ATP flight school, but am very hesitant on acquiring so much debt and not being able to find a job. I have a bachelors degree from The Ohio State University (class of ‘13). Also not that I could prove it, but I also don’t drink anymore. I haven’t had so much as a sip of alcohol in over 1.5 years and I don’t participate in any drug activities, including marijuana. Is there a recruitment office I could call or someone I could talk to about my odds? Would it be beneficial to apply for a first class medical to see that’s even a possibility? I have so many questions but am not sure who I need to direct them to. Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Jim

Jim,

Before the pilot shortage a DUI was an immediate disqualifier but things have changed. If you have in fact been good otherwise and have a clean record you’ll be fine, provided you can get your FAA medical.

The biggest obstacle will be getting your FAA Medical. The FAA will need to verify that you are in fact a changed person and no your word alone won’t cut it. That will mean jumping through some hoops and spending some money.

Adam

Jim,

You could reach out to the recruiting departments of several regional airlines and ask them directly, in fact I would recommend doing this.

I suspect you will be fine, as long as you can obtain a FAA medical and have a perfectly clean record otherwise. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Chris

Jim,

I would recommend applying for a 1st Class Medical, if you can obtain one. Then after a medical, contact a few recruiting departments at various airlines (regional and major) and see what they have to say.

Brady

Not sure if true, but had a pilot that couldn’t fly into Canada because of DUI. You might want to check so at least you are heads up during an interview.

That is true. You cannot enter Canada with a DUI however you can apply for and be granted a waiver. Another hoop to jump through.

Adam

Bob,

That is a true statement, if you have a DUI on record, you cannot enter Canada. Waiver exist and this is why it’s important to take care of your record early on.

Brady

I believe if the DUI is over 10 years ago you can apply for a waiver after speaking with a recruiter from an airline. Mine occurred back in October 2014. But thank you all for your responses! You all have been very helpful!

Applying for rehabilitation in Canada from a DUI takes around a year for them to process an application. That being said, they generally accept 10 years since conviction as grounds for rehabilitation. As it sounds like you’re at the 10 year mark, you’ll probably be ok with the Canada issue.

For the FAA side, go see an AME and apply for a 1st class medical. They may or may not come back asking for more info since it’s been 10 years. That will also depend on what your BAC was when arrested. Blowing .10 versus .15 makes a huge difference in how this can play out.