Best route after the military (non aviation)

I’m looking for some advice; like everyone else on this forum I would like to break into the exciting life of flying other peoples really big planes. I am currently not a pilot nor do i working in the aviation field I still have 6 years left on my contract with the army before I retire. What would be the best route to take to achieve my goals? I have read a many of the other threads regarding military and the transition, however most of those gentlemen where about 2-3 yrs from retiring. I am currently working on finishing my BA and only have about a yr life in school. I am currently in the process of getting my PPL and i am wondering if i would be best to work on my 1500 hrs in the mean time on my own or just wait the 6 yrs and do the hours though a fast track program?

Kenny,

Obviously you’ll need much more than just your PPL but heck yea I’d build as much time as I can. 1500hrs can take a while and no you don’t want all your hours in a 172 flying around but if you can shave off a few hundred why not?

Adam

Adam,

That what i was thinking as well, if i could knock out a few hundred hrs while I’m still on active duty. Would it be best to just stick with the PPL and racking up flight hours until i get closer to retirement before doing my other classes?

Kenny,

I would. Earning ratings on a casual or part-time basis can be very frustrating and VERY expensive. There’s a reason the military, the airlines AND ATP all train daily. Pilot training is heavily reliant on consistency otherwise you take 1 step forward and 2 steps back. I rather you save you money, build some time and maintain currency and then go all out when you retire. You’ll save time, money and it’ll make you a better pilot.

Adam

Kenny,

My advice would be the same for you as somebody who is closer to getting out, just wait and do the fast track program. I understand you want to work on building your 1,500 hours, but it would be much better to wait and let somebody else pay for the flight time (instructing) than paying for it yourself.

Chris