Best time of year to go to ATP

I’m really anxious to start at ATP. I currently have a career and an Engineer but I’m ready for a career change. I’m all set and ready to go, but I like my current income. With that said I really want to know when is the optimum time to attend flight school in Dallas.

I could give my two weeks notice tomorrow but if flying availability is low during the winter, maybe I should wait April or May.

Anyone out there have any insight on when I should start?

2 Likes

Samuel,

Sooner is always better than later. Sure Dallas can get weather in the winter (def less than elsewhere. People start in the NE and are successful), but summer you get those big thunderstorms. There’s always weather in this country and no one can predict what and when it’s going to be bad. Don’t over think it. Start when you’re ready financially.

Adam

2 Likes

Samuel,

There really is no one set period of the year that is better or worse for flight school. Winter can of course have its challenges, but spring has high winds, summer has thunderstorms and fall can have some good storm systems as well. It really all balances out in the end. I would not give this too much concern. Instead, I would find a time that worked for you and get to training.

Chris

2 Likes

Samuel,
Sooner the better! Everything in the aviation world is based on seniority. The sooner you can get started, the sooner you finish, the sooner you can apply to cadet programs and punch that seniority number, get your 1500 hrs and get hired. ATP wouldn’t offer class dates all year round if they didn’t find the program successful during certain seasons. The program is 7 months regardless of when you start. Instructors and support staff will make sure they get you finished in the timeline no matter what challenges you could face for a specific season.
-Hannah

2 Likes