Best Training Base for weather

Hello,

I’m hoping to start training at ATP and currently live in Western Washington (the closest base for me is Seattle TIW in Gig Harbor). I’ve heard that training in Washington State can add months to your training because of poor weather. I really want to get through the program as quickly as possible and heard that the best way to do that is to train in Florida. That really doesn’t sound appealing to me since I’m married and my husband is an attorney who can’t just pick up and move whenever he wants. I understand as a pilot I’ll be away from home a lot, even days at a time. But full time training would be 9 months straight and I don’t want to spend 9 months away from my husband. Any advice for me?

Thanks,

Essie

Essie,

My advice is choose a location that works best for you. Sure Seattle gets wet but EVERY location has its weather challenges. Florida gets monster T-storms in the summer, the NE gets snow, etc etc etc. The program takes this all into account with the 9mos time frame. In all likelihood training in Seattle won’t take you longer, you just won’t finish in record time. Further you want a little weather and actual IMC experience during your training rather then seeing it for the first time by yourself. There are many tales of new Regional FOs who never saw a cloud till they were hired and freaked.

Adam

Thanks Adam. I had this concern as well as I plan to do ATP in New England :sweat_smile:.

Elisabeth,

Have you talked to Admissions about this? I’d be curious to hear what they have to say about your concerns. I live in Tacoma. So, I get it. But I did all my training in Sacramento. So, I also don’t know what it’s REALLY like up here. Have you done your intro flight yet? That would be a good opportunity for you to direct those questions to the students and Instructors there.

Tory

1 Like

Elisabeth,

I would certainly discuss this issue with the admissions department and with the instructors when you do your introductory flight. I would be surprised if the weather really added months to the program. I would lean towards going to the location nearest you and dealing with whatever delays (if any) that you encounter.

Chris

Elisabeth,
The instructors there will be your best insight to how much flying gets done so use your intro flight to research the best you can. It may have more weather challenges but it’s still the same ATP program with the focus on getting your ratings done within the allotted time (9 months or 6 months for credit private). If you end up there and weather is a consistent challenge, then the days that end up being nice you may have to fly twice that day to catch up and be more flexible to last minute changes to stay on the timeline. Every location has its set of challenges, I would go with the location that fits your life best and make the most of it. There will come a time in your career where you will have to move around so appreciate the flexibility you have now.

-Hannah

I went to the Long Beach, CA location and had a few friends here as well as at some of the other SoCal ATP locations who had come down here from Washington for the sole purpose of being able to complete their flight training within a shorter amount of time. I met a few people in Phoenix who also made the temporary move from Washington, the only problem in AZ is the painfully hot weather for most of the year.
If it’s reasonable and fits your lifestyle and you can afford to move somewhere else for 9+ months, then I would think that relocating would be a great idea. Otherwise, with your family situation, it’s probably best to do your training at home and sacrifice a few extra months due to the weather. I’d take that over being away from home for such a long time during flight school.

Elisabeth,

I just spoke with ATP admissions and asked about training timelines in the Pacific Northwest. They advised that training times can be 1-2 months longer in that area.

Chris

1 Like

Thanks. That’s good information.

Any time. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

Elisabeth,

I am currently instructing in Carlsbad, CA (CRQ). The weather is normally great, but do not be mistaken- the summer months brings in some intense fog that can leave you grounded for days. That being said, I did my training out in the northeast where the weather was obviously not as favorable but definitely a great learning experience. I find myself missing the extra challenges that are associated with flying in the northeast. What I’m getting at is- it does not matter where you choose to train, they are pros and cons to every location. Pick one that is the most suitable for you, and roll with it!

Jonathan

2 Likes

Elisabeth,

I just did my introductory flight at the gig harbor location. The flight instructor told me due to weather that sometimes it can take up to 12 months to get through the program. He also said that sometimes it can take less it all depends.

Hi, Tory, do you happen to know what month you started with atp, choosing the best month to start with atp will depend on how long you finish with the training( weather and stuff)what I believe, since you did your training in Sacramento,CA, and I am planning to do mines at Oakland(livermore) area

Brandon,

:grin: this is sunny California we’re talking about. Google says Sacramento gets 269 sunny days a year. Livermore gets 257. That’s only about 3.5 months a year without sun. Even then, airplanes can fly in the rain. It’s the freezing level that concerns me. Hardly an issue. Plus, the CFIs know how to schedule sims and ground school on non-flying days and flight lessons on flying days. And! Guess where the students from Washington go when the weather is too bad to fly? California :grin:

Livermore should be just fine.

Tory

Brandon,

Just to chime in here I’m a little confused. Let’s say for example you were ready to start in Jan but Tory said the weather is more favorable in May. Would you really wait 5mos to start your training because your may get finished sooner? What is it’s a rainy summer? We’re talking about weather and no one can predict it a week in advance let alone months. Start when you’re ready to start.

Adam

Brandon,

Every location has good months and better months. The program is 3/4 of a year, it averages out. Just start when you are ready, I would not over think this.

Chris