Cadet Programs / July 2023

Hey guys, I have a few questions about ATP cadet programs. So, I know there are a decent amount of cadet programs with different partner airlines at ATP. My first question is, at what stage of your training do you apply to them, is there a specific time, such as after getting your PPL or CFI? Or, does each program differ at when you are suppose to apply? A follow up question is what percent of people at ATP actually get into cadetships, and is it realistic to be able to get into one? Just for some information, I’m 19, I currently have my PPL, and I will likely go to ATP after graduating from Florida State University with a Bachelors in Finance in Spring of 2024.

Evan,

Welcome to the forum. We’re glad you’re here. Every cadet program is different. Frontier’s program you can apply before even started your flight training. It’s a huge opportunity to skip the regionals and go to the right seat of an airbus right away. However, it’s very competitive. Most regional cadet programs will want to see at least a Commercial Rating or a CFI before applying. Sprit Airlines has cadet interviews around 500 hours.

With all this being said, I wouldn’t worry about any cadet programs right away. You’ve got plenty of time to figure out where you want to fly once you’ve successfully completed flight training. The only “seniority” lost is a cadet number that can help you in a new hire class get the first bid for base/aircraft/sim time, etc. It’s not company seniority. It’s best not to limit yourself early on because your airline of choice could change over time.

Hannah

2 Likes

Hi Hannah, Thank You so much for the insight. I guess I would say the reason why I am so worried about getting into a cadet program is for job security. I know the industry goes up and down frequently and in 2 years when I expect to be done with my ratings it’s hard to say if the airlines will be hiring as frequently as now. I just figured if I was able to get in with an airline early on, it would make me less stressed.

Evan,

I hate to burst your bubble but if in 2yrs things slow down it won’t matter if you’re in a cadet program or not. There’s absolutely zero in any of the cadet programs that guarantees you a position. If the airlines aren’t hiring, they aren’t hiring.

Adam

Evan,

I don’t see anything happening to Cadet Programs or sign-on bonuses anytime soon. I can’t speak on the Majors (I’m sure it’s there), but every Regional it seems is going to be struggling to equalize their workforce of captains and first officers. Yes, many regionals slowed down hiring, but even those in cadet programs are getting delayed and there’s nothing they can do. In fact, I spoke to one that is in a cadet program and he said that after X date, he could separate from contract and not be penalized due to the backlog and delay.

Brady

Hi all,

First time posting here (and super grateful for the wealth of knowledge, information and guidance across the entire forum)!

Just thought I’d post the following update from Frontier’s website regarding the F9 Pilot Cadet program, in case anyone else was considering applying:
" Due to the overwhelmingly positive response and large amount of applications we have received for our Cadet Program, we will be temporarily closing the application window to work through the current application submissions. All applications submitted prior to July 7th will be reviewed and all CJOs will be honored. Keep an eye out for more information regarding the application window opening and future recruitment events…"

Wow, thanks for the info guys. I appreciate the information. I am surprised by that though. Do you guys not even think people with experience in a cadet program would get picked first out of all the applications though? I feel like getting some experience “working” for an airline, is more appealing than none at all.

Evan,

The reality is, unless you get on property on your first day of indoc and get a seniority number you’re not an employee yet.

I became a Skywest cadet in Oct 2019. I was living life well, building time and excited about my future CJO. Well spring 2020 came around and the Covid pandemic hit. It wasn’t long before I got a very nice letter telling me that my CJO was rescinded and the contract was nil and void.

Things change. The economy changes and job opportunities disappear. It can happen with or without a CJO. All you can do it work hard and be the best candidate you can be the rest is left to hoping the good times stay good…

Hannah

2 Likes

I guess I’ll hope the good times stay good haha. Thank You so much for sharing your story, I can’t understate how much each of you guys have helped me so far.