Recruiting Programs

Greetings,

Looking for some input on training path with the cadet programs offered by various airlines. There is mention of the how the programs work for getting reimbursed for tuition on X amount of dollars per flying hour. Not much on program requirements. I understand program have different requirements and would like a better understanding to determine if this would work for me. I’m hoping to complete PPL by this fall with retiring from the Air Force in less than 2 years. Does the program allow for someone such as myself to complete part 141 training (instrument, commercial, and multi engine on GI Bill) and CFI at one of the participating schools or certificate(s) need to be complete at respective schools in order to be hired as a CFI. I was also considering going through ATP after retirement but could save a lot of money with plan A. I would be employed through the training and CFI after retirement. Trying to make the best choice that would make things easier for the career transition. Any advice would be awesome. Thank you.

Roger

Roger,

I believe you can get your training anywhere but must do the CFIs AND instruct at one of the participating schools. The question is will the schools hire you after just doing your CFI training with them? Many give first crack to students who’ve done all their training with the school.

The only other caveat is I’m not sure how often you’re flying while still in the military? If it’s Judy occasionally you may have a difficult time completing the licenses, ratings and build the required 250 for the CPL in the 2 yrs you have left. If you see that’s an issue and you seem like you’re not progressing you may want to consider cutting your losses and going to ATP. While i know the thought of the bill paying for everything is very attractive, the time you’d save would more than cover the amount paid in seniority and pay.

Adam

Adam,

Thanks for the info. You make an excellent point with the commercial time building. It is probabaly too abitious and aggressive with the time remaining. Would ATP accept someone with an instrument from another 141 school if things didn’t happen pan out? The two fast tracks listed are start from zero or ppl time. Lastly, should I wait till retirement before conatcing a recruiting team or once I complete my ppl in the fall? Thanks again.

Roger

Roger,

ATP would definitely accept you with your IR but you wouldn’t receive any credit for it and you’d have to go through the training again (sans the checkride).

Nothing wrong with calling the recruiters early. The Regionals are desperate for bodies and are more than willing to talk. Never hurts to call, explain where you are and see what they think.

Adam

I would absolutely contact recruiters now. They can give you their thoughts on where you are and what you need to do to get to the airlines.

I just want to be clear that ATP is not a part 141 school. You can use your GI benefits to pay for examiner fees (roughly $7,000), but you cannot use it for tuition.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the inputs. Best thing to do is get my PPL done ASAP and start making phone calls to different recruiters. The ATP route sounds like the most efficient way to go about it. With the tuition reimbursements and sign on bonus (once hired) should help offset the cost of the training. Any thoughts on the ATP locations at Atlanta? I was considering them since there are 3 possible locations for training and instructing. This should allow for flexibility with CFI employment should one location be instructor heavy. It’s a busy area which can provide valuable training.

Roger

Roger,

ATP strives very hard to make all of their locations as standardized as possible. All of the instructors have the same training, the rations of staff to students are similar and the locations are all picked by the same people. I would chose the location that is most convenient for you and not give it any thought past that.

Chris