Can I still become an airline pilot

Hello, I am currently working on my Private Pilot license at a technical college, but have to finish the license and the rest of the licenses required to become an airline pilot at a local flight school due to my progress being slow. I could not keep up with the timelines set by the college due to an instructor shortage. I have 77.3 hours currently logged and have not even soloed yet. Looking like I will get my Private Pilot License somewhere between 108 to 120 hours. I think I am going to get my commercial pilot license and build enough hours to get a commercial pilot job and then work as a commercial pilot to get to 1500 hours required by the airlines. Also, I think I will get an A and P mechanic or an Avionics Technician license ant the same technical collage through which I will get an Associate’s degree and work as one while I am building hours. Is this a good idea? Also, do I still have a chance at becoming an airline pilot at a major or regional airline?

Short answer is yes, you can become an airline pilot.

I’m not an expert in 141 college training programs but, not soloing by 70hrs seems unusual. Did you fail any stage checks? What did your academic advisor say? How often did you fly per week? What did chief flight instructor say reasons were for issues… because I doubt they would blame it all on “lack of instructors”?
You want to fly an avg 3 times per week to keep proficient in flight skills. Flying less wastes time/money relearning those skills.

What is the timeline to get an A&P / associate degree? A&P is usually pretty hands on and can take time. You don’t need an A&P for 99.99% of commercial pilot jobs. I’d say get a degree you like but won’t cost too much extra time.

It’s easier to find Flight instructor jobs than Commercial Pilot jobs with low hours, but it’s possible. With a full time focus you should be able to have all your ratings and 1500hrs in 3 years.

Focus now on finding a school that will get you those ratings, being a good student and passing check rides.

Best of luck,
Chris F

1 Like

Sorry, I should have specified what caused this. Due to a shortage of instructors, the college/flight school has timelines for each stage that need to be met by all flight students. I was unable to meet them because my instructor felt like I was not ready for the stage 1 pre-solo check. He felt like my landings were not up to standards. Then, the chief flight instructor suggested that I finish my PPL at another flight school because he said if you stayed here you would have to restart your course from lesson 1 and would take a lot more time to get your licenses. So, I did what he suggested. He also said if I wanted to transfer back in for my instrument license, I would have wait two years on the wait list. So, he said it just makes more sense for you to finish the rest of your trading at a local flight school and after you get all your licenses, do a transfer check at our school so you get your Associates degree for the program. So, to compensate for the extra long time needed to get my PPL and a change of flight schools I thought I would do an A and P program and get a second Associate’s degree. Also, work as a mechanic for a little bit. It takes about two years to become one.

Aryan,

A few things. First and foremost, the airlines don’t care if you have an A&P or an Associates degree. They want well trained pilots who meet their minimums and the Majors want a 4yr degree (and no, two 2yr degrees don’t count).

Next you’ll also need to earn your Instrument and Multi-engine ratings in there at some point at the very least and a CFI if you want to instruct.

Finally you need to know airline newhire training is no joke. You will need to keep up and be able to meet theirs gates in a specific and finite amount of time.

Just some things to think about.

Adam

1 Like

Adam thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention I am also planning on getting my multi engine and MEI rating, but I was thinking to skip CFI and become a commercial pilot to build the 1500 hours needed for the airlines. I understand that airlines want quick learners, so it is my goal to finish the rest of my training in minimum FAA times or pretty close to them. I just wanted to figure out a way to compensate for 108 to 120 hours I am going to need to finish my PPL. I thought maybe being a mechanic would help, but I guess not. My college has a partnership with a four year university and I have the option to turn my Associate’s degree into a Bachelor’s. Since you mentioned a four year degree is a must to get hired by a major airline, I will go ahead a do that some point.

Aryan,

I never said a 4yr degree was a must, I said it’s desired.

As for finishing up ALL successful flight training depends on consistency. If you’re not flying 2-3 times a week (full-time is best) you’re really wasting your time. You need to come up with a plan that will allow you do accomplish that.

Adam

1 Like

I agree. Consistency is key. It was a bit difficult to fly a lot because of weather and planes going down for maintenance. With the new flight school , I should be able to fly more often. I just hope airlines will forgive me for my high flight hours for my PPL.

Aryan,

The airlines aren’t the church and they don’t forgive nor do they care. Many people take a while to get their PPLs due to inconsistent training. As long as the rest of your training is in track you’ll be fine. If it isn’t you won’t.

Adam

1 Like

Aryan,

Without actually knowing the full story of your pilot training, it is hard to really comment. I will say that 77 hours without soloing is not good, regardless of changing schools. Most people have their licenses by then. I recommend having a real, honest conversation with your instructor and maybe with another one at the school about your abilities and where you stand in your training.

Chris

1 Like

Did exactly what you suggested earlier this week. My instructor said changing my study habits and taking flight training more seriously would help a lot. He said you need consistency in your landings, that is why I did not sign you for your solo. Also, there were a few gaps in my training here and there due to weather, planes going down for maintenance and college holidays. Also, he said maybe a change in the environment would also help. Changing flight schools has helped me so far already two lessons in at the new flight school and the new instructor is willing to sign me for my solo on my next flight.

Thanks Adam for being brutally honest. This is exactly the types of responses I was looking for non sugar coated, honest responses.

Also, is there anything I can do to compensate for the estimated 108 hours needed to get my PPL? Or do I need to find a different career and save myself from wasting time and money?

Aryan,

If you have not soloed yet at 77 hours, I see no way you will have your PPL with any less than 108 hours. Again though, it is really impossible to say without actually being your CFI. If they are telling you 108 hours, they are probably basing that on something and I would expect it to be around that mark, if not longer. Best to defer to your CFI.

Chris

1 Like

Aryan,

It sounds like you have 2 issues: inconsistent training and a lack of discipline. You said you weren’t taking it very seriously before. If you decide that flying is really what you want to do you need to get serious. It’s expensive even under the most efficient training regimens. Hopefully at your new school you can fly 3-4 times a week and the change is a good reset for you.

You can’t wind back the clock or get your money back for all those hours but you can use it to refocus you moving forward. Get your PPL and decide if you want to continue further. If you do, stay consistently flying and put in the ground work chair flying and studying. Don’t put too much on your plate. Either do full time flight training or finish your degree but don’t try to balance both. If you continue to need 2 or 3 times the required FAA hours to get a rating, you may want to re-evaluate if this career is feasible. Initial 121 training is tough. You don’t want to get to 1500 hours and wash out of training.

Hannah

1 Like

Thanks Hannah. I agree, I will see if my new attitude towards flying is making a difference to help me decide to continue flight training or not.

Thanks Chris, I agree looking like PPL is going to be the way it is. I can only change the hours on my future licenses.

Aryan,

Let us know how things go and of course if you have any other questions along the way. We’re here to help!

Hannah

1 Like