Can you get most sundays off

I want to know if I could be able to get at least most Sundays off if I don’t care when else I work. I don’t mind if I have to work Saturdays or all night or even some Sundays but I want to be able to go to church on Sunday as much as possible. would this be possible?

1 Like

Jake,

EVERYTHING at the airlines is based on SENIORITY. At the beginning when you start you’ll have none and you’ll work when the company needs you to. That means weekends and holidays. After you build some seniority you’ll gain more control over your schedule.

Long/short EVENTUALLY you’ll be able to get Sundays off but that might not be for years. Further as you advance to the Majors you’ll lose all your seniority and start again from the bottom. As an example, I’ve been at my airline for 10yrs and still can’t hold every weekend off.

Adam

Jake,

It will take many, many years before you are able to hold a majority of Sundays off and even then, you might not be able to have all of them off. I am a regular church attender as well, I would say that I make it to service about twice per month, but that is with sixteen years in at the airline.

Chris

Jake,

I would not bank on many Sundays off during your first year or so, as the others have mention everything in the airline comes down to seniority… vacations, bidding, etc. During training you could expect to train on the weekends, even overnight if your sim session is scheduled in a block that falls in timeline.

Brady

Hmm are there any pilot jobs that would require less working on Sunday? What about cargo? Could a newbie even get such a job if there is one?

Jake,

I hate to rain on your church going efforts but the packages and mail you get on Monday, well they’re flying to your local delivery stop on Sunday.

Many years ago the country shut down on Sundays but that country is gone my friend.

Adam