Career Change Looking to Fly Internationally

Hi everyone,

I’m no stranger to aviation, as my dad is a corporate/private pilot. Most of my core memories from childhood are fly-ins and taking out our Bellanca Viking on weekend trips. At 6 years old, my dad already had me flying the plane and communicating with the tower, who I’m sure were delighted to hear from a little girl on the radio.

And yet, when deciding on my career, I didn’t want to follow in my dad’s footsteps, because who wants to be like their parents? Flying is awesome, sure, but I wanted to be DIFFERENT.

Idiot, idiot, idiot.

Anyway, several years later and I’m realizing my mistake. I did a Bachelor’s and a Master’s and now work in recruitment, only to realize that I loathe the office life and can’t imagine spending the rest of my life in the corporate world. So, I’ve been looking for a career change.

I’m working on my PPL to start, before I take the big leap, but unsure what direction I want to go. I had thought the airlines because in the old days they used to do tuition reimbursement, but I’ve heard that’s more and more scarce.

My other main concern is that I want to work internationally. I did my master’s abroad and lived in Europe for 5 years, and my fiancé is from Spain. For now, we want to be in the US, but the long term goal is to return to Spain. However, I know that airlines only let you fly internationally with seniority, which means more and more time where we’re stuck in the US.

My questions then are:

• Should I fly with a regional airline and then go to a major U.S. airline? Or should I do US regional and then apply for one of the European ones? I should have my EU citizenship in the next few years, so right when I would be moving to a major airline.

• If I stay with a U.S. airline, is it better to do one of their programs?

• Which airlines allow you to fly more/live internationally?

• Would I receive more international flights if I have language skills? I speak 4 languages, which I know would be a huge advantage for flight attendants, but not so sure with pilots.

• Are the airlines even the answer for what I’m looking for? Should I consider doing cargo/charter?

• What is the best way to get FAA and EASA certified?

Appreciate any and all responses!

If your goal is to eventually live in Spain, I think you will be far better off just getting your ratings there under EASA. The conversion process is not a simple one at all and you will spend considerably more financially and time-wise doing so. While there are plenty of US carriers (both passenger and cargo) that fly internationally, you won’t be guaranteed only international flights at any point in your career, and will only have a good chance of being awarded international trips when your seniority can easily hold it. And no, speaking multiple languages will not override seniority for preferential award of those trips. You can certainly commute to work from Europe, and work for a US carrier, bid schedules and trade trips with colleagues which give you longer periods of time on the road and longer stays at home, but your quality of life will be impacted. So, if your life is taking you to Europe in a few years, why not just get it all done there and avoid the extra complications?

Thanks for your response! Yeah I think the main issue is that we have to remain in the US for a few years until my fiancé gets his citizenship and then we can work on getting mine. I’ve also heard that flight school is a lot more expensive in Europe and more difficult to pay off. Plus, if I ever want to fly with my dad or fly his plane in the States, I’ll still need FAA.

I guess the other option is work for a US airline that could allow me to commute from Europe.

Jori,

1. Sounds like this pertains more to your timeline then a “what should I do?”. Regionals are where we all generally start and build our time and experience. If your goal is to fly for a European carrier they will not hire you or even entertain your application until you have A) your EU citizen and right to work and B) your EASA licenses. Until you have those you really won’t have a choice.

2. I don’t think so. Most of the programs lock you in to a specific airline and they or may not be a good idea depending on how they’re hiring. That said when you’re really they may be some good opportunities. This is not a decision you need to make for some time. When you’re ready Id analyze the options available.

3. Obviously airlines that fly internationally will let you do so. You’re mistaken that only happens with high seniority. Many junior pilots are hired right into international flying. As for commuting ALL airlines allow you to live wherever you want (I’ve known pilots at both the Regionals and Majors who commuted from Europe). The caveat is commuting is a choice and it’s your RESPONSIBILITY to get to work on time and well rested. The airline won’t help or make any special consideration.

4. English is the official language of aviation worldwide. While you’d definitely be helpful to your crew’s when going out to dinner, as a pilot it won’t come into consideration.

5. Totally up to you. A common misconception is cargo has different rules, etc. Most cargo carriers are airlines and they require the same licenses, ratings and commuting responsibilities. I would argue it would be more difficult and require greater seniority to get into a corporate gig that flies internationally.

6. Once you get certified in one, you can transition to the other. It’s a process either way that will require time and money. Definitely easier to go EASA to FAA then the other way around.

Adam