Career in United Airlines

I’m actually trying to say more like I’m used to flying it, so I can quickly navigate to the control that I need to use. Yeah I am wrong about what I’m saying, I think it’s because I’m really good at flying it on the sim, that it’s similar to real life, it is in a way, but not in flight dynamics. If I needed to turn off auto throttle, engage the APU, set flaps to 5, put the gear down, arm the speed brake, and set the auto brake, I could do that without not knowing where it was. That’s what I mean, and should have said, when I say “I’ve flown it many times in FSX, and it seems to handle very well.”.

It may be kind of confusing, but I know where everything is located.

And all we’re saying is this isn’t “Snakes on a Plane”. :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

That’s true. So for my information, you fly Boeing, hope would you compare it to other planes? I’ve also been on the sim doing ILS approaches, in the real world, would you do more visual, or instrumental?

William,

I’m actually on the Airbus, and while I flew a Boeing 717, it’s really an MD so not sure that counts. Gotta ask Chris?

As for approaches most airlines require that ALL approaches be flown using some instrument procedure (ILS, GPS, LOC etc) as backup even in visual conditions.

Adam

Wow, that must’ve been pretty cool flying the 717, they have an interesting look to them, they don’t even look like Boeing.

Cause they ain’t! :slight_smile:

Adam

That’s true. I’m sure there’s a difference, but in comparison, when flying a 717, hope different is it than flying a 172/182?

Just a little :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

I just got done with watching Sully, and I was wondering if I guys could share any possible flight emergencies that you might’ve had?

William,

Well if we had them they’re more than possible, they happened no? I’ve been fortunate as I’ve really had nothing too exciting. I did have to shut down an engine once but I guess losing 2 is worse? I also had an auto-pressurization failure. Again nothing too exciting but manually controlling pressurization throughout a flight is a major pain in the butt. The worst I can think of was pretty recent. I had asked for a Diet Coke and the FA informed me we only had Coke Zero! That was pretty scary! :slight_smile:

Adam

3 Likes

Wow, that must’ve been interesting. I saw a news report about a 747-8 having a failure with the front gear, it wouldn’t come out, and the third engine I think had a fire, or something that made it fail. He had to land at a municipal airport that had just enough runway length to land. The airport might’ve been a regional, but it was barely big enough for the 747 to land.

William,

Boeings are nicely built airplanes, it is really hard to compare them to anything else as they are so different than even other jets can be. I have enjoyed flying all of the Boeings that I have had the chance to…

Chris

William,

Chris was spot on. However, you can apply for a pilot slot after completing 90 credit hours of school, at least for the Air Force. But, you have a year to complete your degree, after you apply. I am now currently applying for a few units, which is an advantage of going Air Guard. You get to choose your unit, and hope for the best. Like yourself, I am applying for the Charleston C-17 unit. Also, I am applying for a C-130 slot in GA and fighter slots all around the south east, so I can help you with the process.

I took a different approach than the average person to get to where I am. For me, I wanted to enlist so I could pay for my college, travel the world and get to do some high speed stuff, so I enlisted out of high school. After completed basic and some training, I enrolled into Embry-Riddle Worldwide as soon as I could. Now, I’m nine classes away from graduating, and I am debt free. So, I highly recommend this route, but it has to be something you want to do. I have been thankful for the memories I have made during my enlistement, and it has set me up for success in my future endeavors. With that said, if you have any further questions pertaining to the Air Force route, please do not hesitate to ask me… I am giving back because others have done the same for me.

Good luck, and cheers to your future endeavors!

Christopher L. Madaris

So what your saying is that if I enlisted in the ANG, and completed basic training, the ANG would pay for my college classes at Embry-Riddle?

William,

All branches of military will pay for your education. That’s one of the many benefits. I have nothing but respect for our military and there’s no question they offer the finest training and experience in the world. Just keep in mind it is a major commitment and not to be taken lightly.

Adam

William,

Yes, and I chose to go active. But, like Adam said, it is a serious commitment.

So, how would the basic training for ANG compare to the Air Force? Since I would also attend college at Embry-Riddle, how long would it take for me to, after training and my service, finish college, and begin flying for the airlines?

ANG goes through the same basic training as active duty, and the schooling takes as long as you make it. I’m graduating within four years, but it’s been tough being full time active.

It would take you probably 6yrs, but it depends on your contract.