Best airline to fly for?

Hello I am currently in the Army National Guard as a UH-60 Helicopter Repairer. I joined because the National Guard would pay for college. I plan on attending MTSU to get my bachelors of aviation and then apply for warrent officer to fly the blackhawk. I am a big Boeing and Delta fan but it seems like Delta is shifting more towards Airbus. I would like to fly either the 737 Max or new 777x. What airline should I be most interested in flying for? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Jeremy,

If there was one “best” airline everyone would want to work there and every passenger would want to fly them. People have any number of reasons for picking an airline. It could be they have a base nearby, first plane ride anywhere was on them, equipment, routes, know somebody who worked for them or they simply like the paint scheme. You say you prefer Boeings but what’s that based on? You’ve obviously never flown one and there are plenty of pilots who love Airbus. What draws you to Delta? What if you started flying for United and they dumped all their Boeings? Would you quit? Would you commute to fly for a particular airline or for a particular airplane? Take a payout? What if when you’re ready to make your move and American just expanded and is hiring like crazy and have a better contract? I grew up watching Continental fly overhead and thought that was where I wanted to go. They’re gone so it’s a non issue.

I could go on but hopefully you get my point. The best airline is the one that works best for YOU. This industry is constantly changing and the best airline today might not be tomorrow. Further as you learn more about the industry you’ll become more informed and your priorities may very well change. Quality of life is often more important than flying a particular plane but maybe it’s not. These are decisions only you can make for yourself and you will when the time comes but you’re a long way from that so I really wouldn’t worry.

Ultimately the best airline is the one that hires you.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you for the input. I see what you are saying. I guess I might be a bit biased because I work for Delta as a ramp agent. I’ve heard from a few pilots that the side stick is a but weird getting used to. Obviously I’ve never flown side stick. I only have about 20hrs in a 172. I guess I should see what opportunities arise when I graduate!

Jeremy,

I have flown several Boeings and now the the 319/320. I will tell you that they are not all that different and that at the end of the day, the airplane you are flying is not what matters. What does matter is pay, quality of schedule, benefits, time off, etc. As for side stick v. yokes, they both accomplish the exact same thing. I would focus on getting your training complete and building your flight hours. Do keep in mind that helicopter time is not going to get you to a major airline, so you will likely need to spend a few years at a regional building your fixed wing time and none of the regionals have either Boeings or Airbuses.

Chris

1 Like

The best airline is the one that hires you.

Everyone would like to get to a legacy one day (delta, United, American) but not everyone makes it there.

2 Likes

Jeremy,

You see the fact you’re currently working for Delta is as good a reason as any to target a specific carrier. Particularly if you’re happy there and they treat you well.

Delta actually has a pilot carrier path which works with ATP you might want to look into?
https://atpflightschool.com/airlines/delta-air-lines-propel-pilot-program.html

Adam

1 Like

Jeremy,
Since you are already a Delta employee and want to eventually end up there, I would seriously consider applying to the Propel program. It is very competitive but provides a great opportunity. I know someone who is in the program and has had an amazing experience. It guarantees employment with Delta upon completion of your ratings, instructing hours, and securing a job with one of their regionals (Republic or Endeavor) after the required time and hours.

-Hannah

1 Like