Commercial Pilot Ideas

Hello all,

This is William Smith, I’m currently 16 years old in the 10th grade, and am pondering the idea of what airline I should join, and the best way to get there. I’ve been considering United Airlines, but I don’t fully know. I really though would like to find an airline that has a primary fleet of Boeing aircraft. This is because I really like all of their aircraft, and would hope to some day be flying them for my career. Even though airlines are changing constantly, I was wondering, if possible, if someone could give me a recommendation for a regional, and major airline that fits my goals? I was also wondering what the fastest way to get to captain at a major airline, and a good way to get the flight hours required?

Thanks again,

Civil AIr Patrol Signature

C/MSgt William Smith, Civil Air Patrol
Bravo Flight: Flight Sergeant
MER-NC-024
Gastonia Composite Squadron
© 803-579-1506
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary
gocivilairpatrol.com

William,

The fact you’re already a Sgt in the CAP is fantastic. Honestly you’re pondering step 957 and you’re really still in the single digits. You’re easily 10 yrs away from a Major and many things can and will change (not only with the industry but with you and your goals and priorities). Work hard in the CAP, do well in school, get your licenses and ratings and after all that you’ll have a much better idea of where you want to work and what you want to fly. That said you’re right, Boeings are better :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

Adam,
How are boeings better are they better than other planes in a way? I never really pondered about the different types of jets.

Taj,

Boeings are just incredibly well made jets. They are tough, last a long time and easy to understand. The same cannot be said for some other types of airplanes.

Chris

Taj,

I was kidding but I do prefer the Boeing product to Airbus. Airbus makes a fine airplane but the company’s have 2 very different philosophies when it comes to airplanes. Airbus designed a plane that can be flown by pilots with minimum training and have effectively engineered much of what the pilot does out of the equation. Boeing still makes planes for pilots to fly. Boeings have yolks to control flight controls, Airbus has “input devices” that send the pilots intentions to some very smart computers. As I said very different philosophies.

Adam

1 Like

All,

Sorry that it took me so long to respond, I’ve been very busy lately. Thank you for all the responses, I’ve really been looking forward to flying a commercial jet. It’s become what I call an addiction, I think about it all the time, and I’m simply just ready to fly! I just never thought of that fact, I’m just so ready to fly that I’m getting ahead of myself. So thank you for helping me understand what I need to do. Now for another question that I have for anybody. I’m currently flying with Microsoft’s “Flight Simulator X” (FSX), and as good as it is, it’s old, and is crashing on my computer constantly to the point where it’s almost unplayable. I’m looking into getting another flight simulator that looks good, is realistic, and has a Boeing 737-800 in it. I was wondering if someone could show me which flight simulator out there fits that description best?

William,

I am not a fan of Flight Simulator, it is a fine game to play, but that is about it. If you want to have fun with it, that is great, but don’t think that it is going to teach you anything about flying or about a 737. I personally would save the money and apply it to flight training.

Chris