Career progression through the payscales

I have been looking at various regional and major airlines’ pay scales via airlinepilotcentral.com and am curious how the pay progression works as you bid for that next role. More specifically, once I reach the majors as a FO for say a 757, I obviously start as FO year one salary and work up the scale for how ever many years I am a FO on the 757 airframe. When I bid for and make Captain, my assumption is that I then start over on the pay scale at year one as Captain on the 757.

Assuming that all to be correct, what happens if, as a captain of a 757 currently, I bid for a wide body? I am assuming that I would have to start as a FO for the widebody, but do I start at Year One FO payscale for the widebody? If I have been a FO widebody for eight years and then bid for captain of the widebody, does my pay drop back down to year one Captain for the widebody?

Thank you in advance for your input.

I’m sure the actual pilots and mentors will jump in but I’m quite certain the “year” is based off years with that airline - if you’re a first officer for three years, upgrade to captain, you’d be at captain year 3 pay. Year 1 Captain pay would be for pilots transferring from different companies.

Scott,

Stephen is correct. ALL airline payscales are based on years of service at the airline. ie, if you’ve been at the airline 8yrs but are awarded your first Capt slot you’re paid as an 8yr Capt.

Adam

1 Like

Ah, makes much more sense! Thank you!

1 Like

Scott,

Years stay with you… year 1 FO 757, year 2 FO 757, year 3 737 CA. Only fleet and seat change after that…

Hannah

1 Like

Excellent, thank you for the feedback! I am doing research for my daughter who is graduating high school this year!