CFI Endorsement Written Exam

I’m currently using King Schools to study for the PAR. Is the CFI endorsement mandatory or is there an alternative? The testing website makes it seem like the endorsement is one of a few options to take the test and not the only way. Can somebody clarify?

Background since I’m new here: I have 17 months until I retire from the military (I will be 39 years old). I was taking lessons at the aero club on base (14hrs). However, as the senior enlisted member for my flight, work can get pretty busy/hectic at times (random taskers, evaluations, awards, inspections, counseling, meetings, etc. I’m sure there are some vets in here that can back me up on this lol) and I feel like I had to stop because I was wasting time and money because every flight felt like a review. It hurt my heart to make that decision because I feel like a quitter, but I need to be able to fly on a more consistent basis to become truly proficient. That being said, I’m going to focus on just knocking out these tests closer to retirement and plan to join ATP. My wife will remain on active duty so the location I apply for will depend on her next orders. I’m fortunate to still have her income plus my pension so I don’t need to stress about money while in the training phase.

1 Like

Mitchell,

If you are referring to the PAR written exam, then the King’s Schools course will give you an endorsement once you complete it. I believe it requires you to take and pass a few practice exams after you have completed all of the material, and then you should be able to print out the endorsement. You will then bring this endorsement to the testing center, after you’ve scheduled the test on the PSI FAA testing website, and you should be good to go! You could alternatively have a CFI sign you off to take the exam, but there shouldn’t be a need for this with Kings Schools for the private exam. You’ll find that for future tests (IRA, CAX) you will most likely need a written endorsement from a CFI since most test prep softwares, like Sheppard Air, won’t provide an endorsement. You would simply show your CFI some passing practice tests and they would sign you off once they felt comfortable that you would pass.

Hope this clears things up a little!

Roscoe

1 Like

Yes I am referring to the PAR - I don’t know what I was thinking about when i typed PAL lol. And thank you for clearing that up for me!

Mitchell,

Just make sure to not get too far ahead of yourself, written tests results are valid for a maximum of 24 calendar months.

Infrequent flight training is a classic example of how the process can take much longer, and cost much more, than need be. Consistent flying is the key to success and is the reason that the military, the airlines, and ATP all train that way.

Chris

1 Like

Chris,

I’m definitely tracking the 24 month rule. I’ll most like start taking the tests when I’m on terminal leave. There are no test centers in Okinawa meaning I would need to fly to Tokyo, which I don’t want to deal with. I’d rather go back to the states and take care of all that on my terminal.

I think I knew it was going to be a difficult task to get a PPL out here, but I wanted to try anyway. I’ve always liked the idea of being a pilot, but I needed some hands-on to make sure I would actually like it. I was hooked after the first flight.

Mitchell,

Both Chris and Roscoe hit it spot on. I’d recommend starting the AKT process 6-9 months out from your enrollment date; since the 24-calendar month is an expiration timeline set on AKTs. If this is something you truly have your eyes set on, I would save your logbook, start putting the money aside you’re using for the little training you’re getting, and then tackle ATP all at once. Setting yourself up financially now will help you out later on.

Brady

1 Like

Brady,

That’s definitely my plan now. I’ve actually been setting money aside specifically for flight school for years. I only plan to do a student loan if the interest rate makes sense for me. I’m in a very fortunate position, which I don’t take for granted. The only wildcard is where my wife will receive orders to go from here, but ATP has a lot of locations so I’m not too worried. Even if we have to separate during my training I can live with her parents in San Antonio or my parents in Jacksonville, which means no need to maintain two households or pay rent.

Mitchell,

Family in two spots where ATP has locations, BONUS! I tackled an extra $10,000 on my loan for housing, I did not mind it because of the convivence, some may. Also, I’m not a financial advisor, but if I had the option to use someone’s money (aka a credit lender) and pay a 50/50, I would. I don’t like going below a threshold on funds in case of an emergency, anything is possible these days… house damage, family emergency, broken car.

Brady

1 Like

If you use sportys for the private pilot online ground course will they give you a written endorsement too? I was wondering because i wanted to get my written tests done before i started flight training is that possible since it requires an endorsement?

Colin,

Most of the prep sites will give you an endorsement with proof of successful practice exams. I’d contact Sportys.

Adam

Colin,

I recommend reaching out to Sporty’s themselves to inquire about an endorsement if you used their software/application.

Brady

Colin,

If for any reason you can’t get it from sportys, you can also get it from a local CFI. Typically if you can show them a screenshot of at least two or three practice test scores above a 90%, most will feel comfortable enough to endorse you for the exam. Just another option…

Hannah