CFI surplus; options for time building?

Hello all. I am currently working through the CFI stage at one of the metro Atlanta ATP locations, and keep hearing about the surplus of instructors at ATP. As I near the end of the program and want to start looking into building time, it looks like I’ll be waiting months for a CFI slot to open up at an Atlanta location, or will have to start looking elsewhere. If I finish the program with ~250 hours, what are my best options for time building as a low-time pilot? Should I look into instructing elsewhere? Or is it worth waiting around for a position at ATP specifically to maintain those airline relationships? (Bonus question; what else could I be doing to boost my resume in the meantime? I’ve added the radio operator license, but whatever else I can do to make my resume stand out, I’d like to get a head start.)

Noah,

The #1 thing the airlines are looking for is that you have the required time. You could have a resume with 3 pages of merits, if you don’t meet the mins you’re unhireable.

Personally I like instructing for ATP. Aside from the partnerships you know the program and the planes are exceptionally well maintained and well equipped. Something you may not find elsewhere. That said you want to start building time ASAP. That means if there’s an open slot elsewhere I’d take it (with the hopes of getting back to ATL sooner than later). The sooner you build the time, the sooner you’re hireable, the sooner you build seniority, etc etc etc.

Adam

Noah,

Quick question, surplus of instructors nationwide at ATP, or surplus of instructors trying to get 1 location? There is a difference. I would say there is more of a demand for flight instructors all over the country and not a supply. It takes months of training and preparation to train a CFI, and while the timelines may overlap eventually, the need of instructors rises. Like Adam, I’m for instructing at ATP, the quality of training, planes you’re flying and resources available, you won’t find at many places. The airline partnerships and corporate/charter pathways that ATP has to offer is extremely valuable to have in the back pocket.

Beyond Adam’s newest thread titled, “Not keen on instructing?” provides an opportunity for a 500-hour minimum commercial pilot to fly for Contour Airlines (VTE). I think instructing is the fastest and most quality way to build flight time and you should explore your options along with other 91.119e paths.

Brady

Thanks Brady, and I did look into that Contour opportunity, and would like to apply when I have the required hours.
As for the CFI positions, from what I hear, most of the metro Atlanta locations (i.e. LZU, RYY, PDK) apparently have a “wait list” for instructors. I’d like to stay in the area if at all possible (if I am instructing and not flying for someone like Contour), since my wife is getting her masters in Atlanta as well, and I want to maintain those ATP relationships. But there are also a LOT of CFI students coming up through the program right now (particularly at my location), so I expect that surplus in this area will only get worse. The last thing I want is to finish the program and be sitting around for a few months while I wait for a position to open.

Noah,

If it makes you feel any better, this was my exact situation when I finished the program in February 2021. Due to COVID, none of the airlines were hiring so there was a big surplus of new instructors waiting for spots. I really wanted to stay and instruct at my home location, but the wait list was pretty long. In the end, I selected ‘any location’, because it just wasn’t worth waiting around and not flying. I applied to countless jobs and flight schools, but it was very difficult to get hired as a CFI with no dual given. Have you considered instructing at another ATP location if there is space available? I know it might be difficult to temporarily move, but for me it was worth it. I ended up really benefiting from instructing at a different location and I got my hours far quicker than my fellow students who waited for our home location. I waited about 5 months for a position, but I got to the airlines almost a year ahead of some of them. Some waited over a year to stay at their home location. I even had the opportunity to be a lead instructor pretty early into my time there and later a multi instructor. There is always the potential for a transfer back later down the road. If you are interested, you can read through my experience instructing with ATP here:

In the meantime, my suggestion would be to keep flying, even if it is just renting a plane out of pocket. I tried to fly at least twice a month to keep proficient. I took my family and friends up to keep it fun and it was actually a good initial instructing experience talking through my flying with them. I would still suggest applying to local flight schools while you wait, you could find a position that works well for you. You can always return to ATP when your name is called. As Adam mentioned, really they are looking for flight experience, unfortunately there isn’t much you can add to your resume to help

Here’s what I tell people when they ask about instructing for ATP. I wanted to stay with ATP because I knew the program structure, the aircraft, and I wanted to have students who were committed to this career full time. The partnerships were also something I wanted to have available to me. Instructing for ATP is not for everyone, it is really tough and hard work, but the hours are there and you’ll be lucky to find a flight school with more planes and such an organized structure. Some of my former students are having success instructing for ATP, and some successfully instructed elsewhere. If you are set on ATP and want to start sooner, consider picking a different location. I personally enjoyed it and would do the same thing again, if I had the choice.

Hope this helps!

Roscoe

1 Like

Noah,

When you finish you’ll have a choice… either take the first available location and have to temporarily move or hold out for an ATL location. If you take the first available spot transfers are an option if a spot opens up. This way you stay in the ATP ecosystem the whole time but might need to relocate for a bit. Your other option is to stay on the waitlist for an ATL location and stay current and proficient flying at a local mom and pop school until you get called for an Indoc class. You’re building time and making some money and wait as long as you want to wait.

Instructor supply and demand is incredible fluid and all up to luck and a little timing. Do your best to control what you can control and cross those bridges when you come to them.

Hannah

1 Like

Noah,

While I appreciate your desire to work for ATP, I would apply to many different places and take the first solid offer that keeps you up in the air. Nothing wreaks more havoc on a pilot’s skills than not flying, especially a newly minted pilot.

Chris

1 Like