CFI working at ATP

Hey guys,

I was just reaching out to see how many people were having luck getting a position at ATP as a CFI? I’m pretty sure it used to be guaranteed pre-covid but wasn’t sure how that was working out now.

Tyler,

I’m sure some recent grads will chime in but from what I understand while not guaranteed, successful grads will be offered available slots. However due to the slow down I believe there’s currently a waiting period of up to 3mos.

Adam

Tyler,

I don’t believe I fell in the guaranteed position, I graduated January and received a call in February. What I can tell you is that when you arrive day 1 to training, your interview to become an ATP Instructor starts. How you treat someone, perform in the plane, and most importantly - what you do outside of the training center will have a great impact on your chances to be selected. Instructors and administrative personnel can see someone’s progression through the program and how they are performing. When you look in the mirror, you want to be that student that is wanting to work hard when someone else isn’t.

Like Adam said, I think 3 mo.'s is the general average, I had individuals in my indoc class that have been waiting since September 2020. When you are also waiting for a position, you have to factor in the location and supply of students.

Brady

So say you become a flight instructor somewhere else, does that affect your tuition reimbursement? Does it affect you enrolling in a program, such as Envoys Cadet Program?

Tyler,

Neither Adam nor I said about becoming a flight instructor somewhere else, we just gave a rough timeframe about what to expect. I also gave tips on how to help your selection process. Today there is an overabundance of instructors with a minimum student pool and depending on where you want to instruct could have a timeframe; with that said, if you’re okay with moving or flexible, I’m sure your wait to become an instructor would be minimized. You didn’t say if you were an instructor now? If you’re not an instructor already, by the time you become one there could be a good chance the need for instructors could be in high demand, unfortunately we cannot predict the future. I saw on another thread posting that you were inquiring about a custom program experience as well? The best advice one can offer is that you come prepared to every flight event, work hard in and out of the training center, and overall be a good fella; there are always eyes watching.

For the Envoy Cadet Program, you’ll have to visit their website to see “Cadet University/Flight Schools” that are partnered with them. University & Commercial Flight Schools | Envoy Air

Brady

Tyler,
If you do well as a student, little to no checkride busts, on time with your program, no major issues throughout your program, you will most likely get an offer. It’s the wait for an Indoc date that is making some former students find work elsewhere. So far it seems at about at least a 3 month wait. However, I’m sure many people will chime in here that the wait is absolutely worth it.
The cadet programs currently aren’t accepting applications but when they do, if you are accepting the cadet program with that airline as an ATP student, you must stay with ATP to retain the benefits. For example, with Envoy you get to interview early and get a CJO and enjoy all the benefits of being an American employee plus tuition reimbursement, but the contract specifics you must stay employed with ATP.
If you decide to instruct elsewhere, you can apply for cadet programs through the airlines, but often they aren’t as beneficial (sometimes just mentorship and a guaranteed interview). ATP works very hard to secure cadet programs that really benefit their employees so I recommend staying with ATP as a CFI so you have access to those opportunities.

-Hannah

Tyler,

If you do your research virtually all the cadet programs stipulate you need to instruct with one of their partner flight schools.

Adam

1 Like

Tyler,

I finished the program on 14 Feb 21 with 0 failed checkrides and I’m still waiting for an Indoc start date. From what I hear they give you a month notice before your Indoc class starts. I selected one location as my availability so that may be why mine has been taking longer than usual. It’s been 2.5 months wait time for me and I’m assuming it’ll still be a few more weeks before I get my 1 month indoc notice. I’ll give an update once I get an offer.

1 Like

Tyler,

Here at the KIWA training center we are seeing a lot of exciting things! A high number of existing instructors have been hired by airlines (most agressively by CommutAir), as well as new instructors joining the instructor team! Other airlines have resumed hiring (SkyWest, Republic, Envoy) as well as Pilot Pathway Programs like United Aviate!

Another bit of exciting news is the current TSA Checkpoint travel numbers (TSA checkpoint travel numbers (current year(s) versus prior year/same weekday) | Transportation Security Administration). Consistently over the past two months passenger travel has returned to over 50% of 2019 levels - and on 4/24 it was 63% of 2019. In my opinion Airlines are in the process of re-training pilots and bringing airplanes back online to meet passenger demand - so these numbers will continue to rise in the upcoming months!

-Sean

2 Likes