College Degree needed to get hired for major airlines?

I know to become a pilot you do not need a college degree. But to become a pilot for a major airline do you need one? Also does it have to be bachelor’s or can it be an associates? I am currently enrolled at a CC, and only have about two semesters left, will I be able to finish school and go to flight school too? Or do I need to focus all my time on one?

Veronica,

Check out this FAQ:

Veronica,

Hiring is starting to slow back to a more stable pace. Even though a bachelors degree isn’t listed as a “required” item anymore, it is still HIGHLY preferred. When the applicant pools begin to balloon again, and class dates dwindle you’re going to be glad you’re on the top of the pile with a bachelors degree and not on the bottom without one!

I recommend you finish your associates at the community college you’re attending and continue your education before attending flight school. You can’t juggle any part time job or school while in the program.

Hannah

1 Like

Veronica,

While not in my opinion the best route, Id be remiss if I didn’t point out of efficiency is your goal. You could finish your Assoc, complete your flight training, build your time, get hired by a Regional, THEN complete an Aviation Bachelors online with credit from your AA AND credit for your pilot licenses and ratings. The caveat is many like this plan but find it difficult to return to school after and never do.

If you’ve got the discipline it’s a faster route to the cockpit.

Adam

1 Like

Veronica,

Complete your community college courses and semesters, if you foresee flight training as a MUST, you could do it next (or take the traditional route and attend a college to get the bachelors degree), and while at a regional airline, complete the aviation degree like Adam mentioned through one of ATP’s partnered Universities. The traditional route however is high school, college, flight training, airlines. For more reference of Adam’s mentioning of the online college: