Amateur Questions

Hello all, I’ve been readings forums on here for a few months and just have a few questions. (Apologize if you’ve answered them before and they might sound stupid.)
I’m just curious on how the whole moving up the ladder goes? I know seniority is everything but, say I’m a CFI, once I get my hours I can apply for regional correct? From there on then what happens? Am I limited to certain major airlines based on what regional I fly for? If that makes sense or can you still move to any majors? I’m really sorry if this sounds dumb.
Second, I’m conflicted on where to go for flight school first off and how I should do it. I’m currently getting my associates degree and I will get a bachelors but too me I think I finish my AA, then go to pilot school whenever I choose and then while flying for a regional airline get my bachelors in whatever I choose. Is that a realistic and smart path or do you guys think there’s a better way. I think getting in early seems important to start building seniority. Thank you guys for you time.

Dylan,

Nothing dumb at all and I think the current environment can make things a little confusing. You are correct (somewhat). Once you build your hours you can apply and hopefully get hired by the Regional of your choice. Spend a few years as a Regional FO and then upgrade to CA and then HOPEFULLY get hired at a Major but there’s a couple of points in there to clarify. First, many of the Regionals are wholly owned or have strong affiliations with certain Majors. While the Majors aren’t short on pilots they want to know they’ve got a steady flow of Regional pilots in the food chain so they offer flows and preferential interviews BUT. The reality is as a Regional pilot you’re under no obligation to go to the parent Regional and are free to apply and get hired wherever you like. I was just jumpseating the other day and there was an Envoy pilot all decked out in American Airlines gear (lanyard, luggage tags, jacket, etc). It’s pretty evident who this kid wants to fly for. But if Delta gets a new contract or his buddy convinces him that’s where he should be then he can burn all his AA swag in favor of the red chevron pyramid thing. Next, most of the Majors “basic” requirements are the same as the Regionals. What that means is you can start applying as soon as you meet those mins. Now the reality is you’re not getting hired for a few years until you meet their preferred or competitive mins but that’s ok. Never hurts to apply and shows your interest early in the process. Finally I think it’s important for all to know these are not simply promotions. Every step up the ladder needs to be earned. Yes upgrade comes with seniority but you still have to successfully complete the training.

As for your process with school getting your AA first will definitely expedite things but recognize completing your bachelor’s after, some find challenging and it requires a certain amount of discipline. If you’re confident you have that then sure. If not it might be better to simply complete all you schooling first.

Adam

1 Like

Dylan,

You raise some good questions, lets get to them.

Yes, once you get your hours as a CFI, you can apply to the regionals. You are in no way limited to the majors that your regional flies for, but many people do seem to move up to their parent major airline.

I like your second plan for college the best. It makes the most sense to finish your AA degree, then go to flight school and get on at the airlines, then finish your bachelor’s degree. This is the absolute fastest way to get you flying and building seniority. Just remember that it can sometimes be hard to go back to school and you will need to do so for the majors.

Chris

1 Like

Thank you Adam and Chris! So basically I can go to any regional when the time comes but have a good idea of who the “parents” are as you said just in case. Thank you both for your time and thanks for answering all these questions on the forum love reading it every night very helpful for me.

Dylan,

Just to clarify, you can APPLY to any Regional and with the current shortage chances are you’ll get multiple offers but there’s no guarantee you can “go to any Regional”.

Adam

Dylan,

Yes, you can apply to any regional, but there is certainly no guarantee that they will hire you. Yes, it is always best to know who the parent companies are. By the time you are applying to airlines, you will be well familiar with this.

Chris

Yeah that makes sense! That’s the biggest thing I guess, I just am not very familiar with airlines and the parents so it’s all a little foreign to me. Appreciate all the help and advice!