Commercial Vs. Private

Is commercial pilot training the same information as private pilot but much more in depth and much more detail?

Alex,

Yes and no. As with every certificate or rating there is overlap. Generally speaking commercial pilot training is everything in private pilot training plus a little extra. Specifically, commercial training covers things like flying for compensation or hire and the different types of operations (91, 121, 125, 135). You are expected to have a commercial level of knowledge in each subject area. You are also held to higher standards during the flight portion.

If you have a FAR/AIM the book has a table of contents for each cert and rating. It will be towards the front. If you compare the two lists you should see what I mean.

Tory

Alex,

Many people say a Private Pilot’s license is a license to learn. Private pilot training really only covers the basics you need to safely get from point A to B. In addition to all the regulatory differences, which are considerable, there are also additional maneuvers which must be learned and demonstrated as well as considerably more knowledge to be learned.

Adam

is there any way someone can forward me some information on what to study for my Commercial SE check ride? I just started this stage but am not able to find any good information like you would be able to for the Instrument pilot check ride. anything would help and id really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Hey Andrew,
A great study tool for any checkride is the ASA oral guide book. The commercial book is the one with the orange cover. It breaks down a bunch of oral topics in to sections and has questions and answers plus the source for the answer if you want to look it up for more detailed information. The book is on Amazon for about $13. I recommend getting that and paralleling your studying with the Commercial ACS. Hope that helps!

-Hannah

Hey there. I am also studying for the commercial, and I found nothing as helpful as the ASA blue oral prep guide for the ppl and the pilots Cafe for the instrument.

There is the orange ASA oral prep guide, I’ve read it, and honestly only like the first 5 pages+a few pages here and there are different. The rest are all copied and pasted from the blue book.

I asked a few instructors and they said to study

the following image (basically a mini Pilot’s Cafe for commercial)

https://ibb.co/kQ7NX4D

Aircraft systems (POH stuff)

Decompression (explosive and rapid), and oxygen requirements

And things from from private (basically blue book or orange book).

1 Like

If you don’t want to rebuy another book, that will work because there are some overlaps between the blue and orange books but remember to supplement your studying with the commercial operations privileges and limitations as well (Common carriage, private carriage, exceptions in 119.1(e).) That section will only be found in the orange commercial Book.

-Hannah

Thank you both of you for helping! i do already have the orange book I just didn’t know how much it would actually help because for private and instrument I didn’t actually use those books! ill try it again and see if I can get some good information from them!

Thanks!

1 Like

Andrew,

Don’t forget about your FAR/AIM. Towards the front it has a section for each certification and rating. Under Commercial you will find every relevant reg and subject for that certificate.

Tory

Thanks Tory! I guess I haven’t paid much attention to that but I’ll look at that as well, luckily I have this Christmas break to give me more time to study! Are Dpe wants us to know a lot about Oxygen systems, pressurization systems, and type ratings all of which I’m struggling really hard to study and I didn’t do my private with ATP I learned in a Diamond :gem: so with the short time we have to do this rating things are a little difficult

2 Likes

You’re not alone. Those lists are often overlooked. I never knew they existed until I was a CFI :man_facepalming:t2: It’s a good place to start. It can also be used as a checklist.

Tory

Andrew,

I got my private in a DA-20 and know exactly the feelings you are having. Just buckle down and study, you will fo fine. The oral exam guides were always my go to source.

Chris

1 Like

We both got our ratings in the Da- 20… oh how I miss that plane!

It was fun to fly, I enjoyed it as well.

1 Like