Commuting Internationally to a regional

Hi everyone,

I don’t think I saw a thread that answered all these specific questions so here goes.

It seems like people commuting internationally is feasible (didn’t say easy). My wife got based overseas in the UK with the Air Force so I’m having to figure out options. I know commuting can be kinda terrible but I’m willing to do whatever to be with my wife.

My question is how feasible is it to commute to a regional in the US? I spoke with a friend at Endeavor and he said as long as you “front load” or “rear load” your schedule, it’s possible. That being said I don’t know if you have that luxury on reserve… how long till I could get a line anywhere? How long to be on reserve? (doesn’t have to be Endeavor)

Endeavor also has the best commuter policy, currently positive space ticket on delta, and you only need to one flight option to make it there accord to contract.

What other options are there? Looked into getting EASA licenses but more trouble than its worth seems like, and my wife will be moved back to the US in 3 years anyway.

I appreciate everyones input, thank you.

Justin

Justin,

A couple of things. First I would try and get the actual contract language from your friend. While I have heard Endeavor has a great commuter policy, there may very well be some fine print in there saying Domestic only. Just the statement “you only need one flight option” begs a question? The other flight option must be within a certain time period (usually 2-3hrs). Since most carriers will only have maybe 2 flights a day to international destinations, that will mean travel in a different airline and many don’t allow international jumpseaters. While again the policy may be pretty liberal, your first year on probation allows mgmt a lot of leverage. I promise you, commuter policy or not, miss a few too many trips and you will be visiting the Chief Pilots office for a chat or worse.

Regardless, even if the commute itself works your responsibility is to show up for work well rested. That will mean you getting in the day prior for certain and with not many flight options often the day after getting back. I do know a pilot who commuted from Paris. He made it work but didn’t recommend it.

As for reserve there’s really no way of knowing how long. If things are good and there’s movement it should only be a month or 2 if at all. If things are not, could be longer.

You definitely could give it a try but I also see renting an apt in your future.

Adam

Justin,
As your friend said you may eventually be able to stack your schedule to accommodate commute times easier. However, you need to prepare for the fact that seniority takes time to build to get the schedule you want. Commuting is difficult to begin with but especially at the starting at the regionals because you’re the very bottom of seniority list. Even if there are seats on the flight you want to get on, you could be 6th in line and not get one. You will start on reserve and hot reserve you won’t be able to commute that long distance, it would force you to get a crash pad or hotel or something for the days your on reserve. Once you hold a line it could be possible but still incredibly difficult. I think if you plan on commuting at the very least you need to invest in a crash pad to make this work.

-Hannah

Justin,

Commuting internationally is feasible, but I would strongly recommend against it. It takes serious time to get to and from Europe, plus you need to arrive well rested and able to fly, which means coming in a day early. That starts seriously eating into your days off. Keep I mind that the jumpseat will not be available to you internationally as a regional pilot. Reserve or not, I do not think it is feasible.

I know a pilot who “commutes” from Germany to Newark. He only manages to se his wife and kids about once per month, for about three days. That does not sound like any decent quality of life to me. It will get better when you get to a major, but that is a ways away.

Chris