Commuting Near Home

I know this question has come of loads of times, and I have read through FAQ about this. So I live near 3 major Airports. EWR is roughly 20 min with no traffic. JFK is 35 min with no traffic (always traffic). LGA is also 35 min with no traffic (always traffic). Since my goal would be to work for a legacy. If I wanted to work for United. Would they put me at EWR because it one of their Domicile’s. Same for American. Their domicile is LGA. And Delta has a domicile at JFK. Since I live near the domicile…would I have a higher chance of getting that as my base?

Daniel,

EVERYTHING at the airlines is based on seniority, EVERYTHING. The airline doesn’t care if you live IN the terminal, you get ZERO preference. If your seniority can hold the base you’ll get it, if not you won’t. The good news for you is all NY area bases are traditionally junior so you shouldn’t have an issue.

Adam

1 Like

Daniel,

Living near a base will in now way increase your odds of getting assigned to that base as everything in the Airlines runs strictly off of seniority. However, the bases you mentioned tend to not be considered very desirable by most pilots because of the cost of living, so they tend to be junior bases. I think you would most likely be able to fly out of the NYC area for the vast majority of your career.

Chris

1 Like

Thanks Adam. I would definitely want to stay in my area, so it’s nice that I would have a high chance of staying here.

Thanks Chris. I would love to fly out of my area.