Corporate pilot - late in life?

Am 60 and want to change careers end my working life flying airplanes somewhere. About halfway through my private pilot certification - I’m realistic in that the commercial/airline route is not feasible but wanted to get thoughts about the corporate pathway? Health is great, energetic and smart. Is this dream possible??

Susan,

Maybe, maybe not. The fact remains that while there is not a mandatory retirement age for corporate pilots, nobody feels too comfortable with a 70 year old in the cockpit either. That combined with insurance requirements, might put a damper on your career, although nobody will ever state as much because of fears of age discrimination.

That being said, I encourage you to look online and ask around for yourself.

Chris

Totally valid points - appreciate your input

Susan,

Not trying to dissuade you but it might be tough. One of the reasons for the pilot shortage are the massive retirements at the airlines. There are literally thousands of pilots due to retire every year for the next few years. Many of these pilots really don’t want to retire and those that want to keep flying with be slightly older than you BUT will literally have tens of thousands of hours and decades of experience. They will be grabbing the good corporate jobs.

Note there may be some Part 91 or 135 gigs out there but they generally don’t pay well and are often grueling schedule wise.

Adam

Susan,

I am not familiar enough with the corporate hiring climate to confidently answer your question. You will receive more accurate feedback if you reach out directly to the companies that you are interested in.

Tory

Thanks Tory - appreciate your input

1 Like

Adam-
Totally makes sense. Thanks for the input