Days and Hours of Training at ATP

Hello - I was wondering if there are set hours for training (ie Mon to Fri 9 to 5) or are they flexible during the entire week?

Thank you,
Jonathan

Jonathan,

While the hours are generally business hours, there will be times when you need to fly at night to meet certain requirements. Also, there will be times when you need to fly weekends. The following is from ATP’s website:

Required Availability & Time Commitment

The Airline Career Pilot Program requires full-time commitment. Students must be available for training at least five full days (determined by ATP) each week. ATP strives to provide two days off each week. Because schedules are built to maximize student return on investment and keep students on schedule with projected completion dates, weekend flying may be required.

Success in the ACPP requires flexibility and adaptability. There may be delays due to maintenance, weather, and other factors outside of ATP’s control. Students are expected to be present at the training center and adaptable to schedule c

Jonathan,

Yes and no. Generally you and your instructor will work out your schedule for the week (some like to start really early, others not). That said you both need to be flexible because you have a mission to complete and a finite amount of time to complete it. That means if you were supposed to fly in the early morning and the weather is bad, that means you’ll be flying in the afternoon or evening.

Short answer is you need to be available to train throughout the week and occasionally weekends as well. If you’re asking because you’d like to try and work or have some other activity I STRONGLY recommend against it. This is a huge investment in time and money and it requires a total commitment.

Adam

1 Like

Everyone keeps saying that this is full time and you shouldnt work while in the program which is almost not a problem. I am in the Army Reserves where sometimes we have three day weekends and the two weeks a year. As I dont have much say into when my two week training is I was wanting to know how that would effect my training other than being behind by two weeks. If anyone else has gone through this your input would be appreciated.

Darien

Darien,

I’m surprised you have no say as to when the 2 weeks fall? If that’s the case it could be an issue. Say you’ve been working really hard towards say your instrument rating, your checkride is scheduled and you have to leave for 2 weeks prior to the checkride that could/would be a problem. Same goes for an unscheduled 3 day weekend. Bust enough checkrides and it could definitely effect your career potential.

That said I’m reasonably sure ATP has had other Reservists. Hopefully they’ll chime in.

Adam

Darien,

Buddy of mine is Marine Reserves and he just had his drill weekend. It worked out just fine as he let his CFI know the week before and they planned his flights for that week around it. As for the 2 week training that could pose a problem. Another problem that my buddy is running into is he needs to finish up before December because he got word his unit is deploying. So if he isn’t finished by then it will be quite the blow. ATP is accommodating because you are the customer, but they are also doing everything they can to push you through this program with as few delays as possible. If this is what you want though don’t let this stop you from pursuing it. Just work with your CoC as much as possible to get insight on your time commitments and you should be okay.

Hope that helped some.

Caleb

Adam, sometimes they give us a number of dates we can choose from but other years they just say when we have to go. My hope is if I go into the program then I will finish before my two weeks.

Caleb, thank you for the information. I should know when my weekends are before I would enroll. This definitely helped with knowing how accommodating they are.

Darien