Deadhead preference?

I know most deadheads are paid at the same rate as actually flying the plane, so are trips with deadheads usually ones that go the most senior (especially since you can “fake” a deadhead, but not fake flying)?
I assume this is a certain setting you can toggle in the bidding software?

Ben

Ben,

First off the majority of trips don’t have deadheads. Deadheads are often the result of an operational disruption (maintenance, sick call, etc) so there often aren’t many trips with DHs you can bid for.

Regardless, like most things, it’s a matter a individual preference. Personally I hate DHing (to me it’s almost like commuting). I really don’t enjoy being a passenger and when I start or finish work, I want to be flying (not faking as you put it). In my case I dislike it so much I actually could easily hold an A321 Capt slot which pays considerably more than my B717 position. Problem is in our A321 operation there’s actually a fair amount of DHing involved and at my seniority that would be the trips I’d be flying. Others however disagree and don’t mind at all. Again individual preference but in general no the trips with DHs don’t always go senior. If they did I’d be flying the 321.

Adam

1 Like

Ben,

The vast majority of pilots that I know really dislike deadheading and prefer to fly. The cockpit is roomier, the view is better, you control the temperature, and there are no middle seats. Even when I used to fly to Europe, I preferred to fly rather than deadhead.

That being said, if you are a commuter, and your airline allows it, it is nice if a trip starts or ends with a deadhead as you can usually get positive space travel from where you actually live, not just where you are based. It is possible to bid for those trips and they can go rather senior, but most deadheading is not in originally created trips, but trips that are built as a result of something going wrong in the operation.

Chris

1 Like

Chris,

Now that you mention it, I was reading on APC that United has first class deadheads. Is this a United only thing, or do the other legacies do it as well, to your knowledge?

Ben

Ben,

I don’t know anyone that prefers deadheading unless they live out of base and the DH works in their favor.

For example, if a trip starts with a SEA-ANC deadhead, but a pilot lives in ANC, the pilot could drop the DH and begin the trip in ANC.

Otherwise, I don’t know a single pilot that prefers deadheading.

Tory

1 Like

Ben,

I am not familiar with what other airlines have in their contracts regarding deadheads. We have had first class international deadheads for some time, domestic was a recent addition to the contract.

Chris

1 Like

Ben,
There is a bidding preference that literally says “avoid deadheads” because it’s not ideal. You don’t get to log the time and we fly airplanes because we like to fly them, not ride as a passenger. With that being said, every once in a while a deadhead can work in your favor. For example, I had an out of base trip with a deadhead back to base at the end. Instead I canceled the deadhead and non reved home directly from where the trip ended and got home a few hours earlier.
-Hannah

1 Like