Delta Propel Program

Hello, I currently work for Delta airlines and would like to become a pilot. Delta has a program called Propel, where basically employees with a PPL and at least three years with the company are granted leaves of absence to get their commercial and instructor licenses. They then instruct for a few years, then work for a Delta regional for a couple of years, and then have a guaranteed job with Delta. Basically the path seems quite similar to the typical airline career pilot program except for the proverbial foot in the door with a major carrier. I have about 6 months with the company, and am wondering if it would be more advantageous to continue with Delta and whittle away at the PPL and hours until I hit three years and apply from within, or to leave the company now and pursue this goal full time and hope I get hired by a major carrier several years down the line. I do enjoy working for the company, but it seems that in an industry where seniority is everything, it might be more beneficial to take the more direct route. Thanks in advance for your input.

Best,
Forest

1 Like

Forest,

I have to say I agree with your thinking. While I think the program has its merits, to put the process on hold for 3yrs. would be a mistake. If you started now in 3yrs you’d be already flying for a Regional, building time and seniority. While I know the flows are attractive, if you look at the average flow times, most people advance quicker without. Your call but if you want to fly there’s no better time than now.

Adam

1 Like

One of my good friends is an A330 captain for Delta. As I am older, he recommended that I attend a flight school that provides the fastest track to CFI and best opportunity to build time afterwards (fastest). He specifically mentioned that if I wanted to fly for Delta to go to whatever regional is most convenient and offers fastest upgrade to Captain, and to stay away from flow through as it is a slower route than simply applying as a street hire.

1 Like

Thanks for the valuable input! It is just hard abandoning the travel benefits and health insurance.

Forest,

Three years is a long time and they might not even be offering the program anymore by the time you get there. If your goal is to be a pilot, you need to start flight training as soon as possible and get to the airlines as soon as possible. A proverbial foot in the door, that may or may not happen, is not worth waiting so long.

Chris

1 Like

Chris, I agree wholeheartedly!

Check out the Envoy Cadet Program, it offers both health insurance and travel benefits.

1 Like

On that note I was doing some reading on their program and they mentioned it also includes profit sharing, this seemed too good to be true. Does anyone have more information on this?

1 Like