Do I need to relocate to get hired by a Regional

Hello,

I am currently completing research to determine if a career change is possible given my current family dynamics. I live in the Memphis Metro and live close to the Olive Branch ATP facility. I feel that I could complete the Career Pilot Program and 1500 hours without having to relocate, but want to understand if where you live greatly impacts your ability to get picked up by a regional? Any advise that you can share on where you live impacting hiring decisions/career progression would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Ryan

Ryan,

It’s often said the best thing about being a pilot is the ability to commute from ANYWHERE and worst thing about being a pilot is having to commute (or something like that?).

As a pilot you can literally live anywhere and never need to relocate EVER. The thing its YOUR responsibility to get to work ontime and well rested. How you accomplish that is YOUR problem. If you miss a trip you cannot use the excuse “well I live in Zumunda and it was elephant mating season and the roads were blocked because a large bull was…”. Again YOUR PROBLEM. The good news is as a pilot you can jumpseat on virtually any airline for free which is a great perk provided there’s a seat either in back or even in the cockpit. Problem is if there’s not a seat, or someone beat you to the jumpseat or the weather causes cancelations or the plane breaks etc etc etc again it’s your responsibility. That may mean leaving for work a day (or 2) early and not getting home till the day after you finish.

Given the choice most people would rather not commute but many do. Your choice.

Adam

Ryan,

Although you could theoretically complete all your training and time building all in Memphis, you might want to think about the possibility of having to instruct (at least temporarily) at another location if you stick with ATP. Getting the location you trained at is not guaranteed, but of course you could also find other local employment with your new ratings.

The airlines you interview with won’t care where you live, only that you show up to work on time and rested. It’s up to you how much you want to push it with a commute…

Hannah