Does this timeline sound like a good idea?

Hey guys,

It’s me again. So I’m currently a Junior in College looking to transfer to MSU (a flight program) and the timeline seems kind of long compared to ATP, but pleeeeeeasssseeeee correct me if I am wrong.

So the school told me If I began in Spring 2020 I would also need to fly Summer 2020 to obtain my PPL. The next semesters I would be working on my instrument and so on. So It was estimated I wouldn’t graduate until Spring 2022. When I graduate it will be with 300hrs, and my rating. Then I would move on to instructing.It’s a R-ATP so I would need to build 1000hrs. Im not sure how long it would take to go from 300 to 1000 but I guessed a year. (Again, someone pleeeeaaasseee correct me). By then I’ll be 24. So does that mean when I start at 20 i won’t be able to work until I am 24? fingers crossed I get a job.

I know if I went the ATP route I would be finished wayyyy before that right?

Raven,

You are correct but I’m not sure what you’re asking? Yes if you participate in a university DEGREE program and wish to receive the benefit of the R-ATP DEGREE program hour reduction you need to complete your DEGREE.

ATP is an accelerated flight training program. While there is no DEGREE program hour reduction or DEGREE to be earned you’d be flying for an airline in approx. 2 years which is 3 years sooner than the DEGREE program but there would be no DEGREE.

Adam

Raven,

I will not question MSU’s timeframe as it is what they told you. It does sound particularly long though.

If you attend ATP, you should be airline ready around two years from when you start.

Chris