Education

Hey guys I just want to know if getting your masters at a university will help you out in the industry? I know most majors want a 4 year degree but what will a masters do for me?

I guess this is on topic. Do any of the airlines offer a education allowance/reimbursement if say you did want to continue taking classes?

Miguel,

As far as getting hired initially I don’t see a Masters being much more than a resume builder. However, depending on the course of study (say Human Factors, Education, Bus Mgmt?) it could potentially help you should you want to get into the Training Dept or mgmt. down the line.

Adam

Tucker,

I’m not aware of any airline paying for any additional education. The airlines train you yearly on what you need to know to do your job safely and effectively. Any education beyond might be advantageous to you personally but it won’t improve your pilot skills so why would they? Unlike many other fields, most advancements at the airlines within the pilot ranks apply to either training or pilot mgmt. (ie, Chief Pilot). Again if YOU desire to go beyond in your education to further your career in other areas that would be on you.

Adam

1 Like

That’s what I had figured, it makes sense.

Miguel,

I do not feel that there is much advantage at all to having your Master’s degree, it just doesn’t seem to be something the airlines are concerned with.

Chris

1 Like

Ok, thank you for replies. I guess I won’t worry about my masters :slight_smile: . You guys are amazing!! Y’all respond so quick!

Anytime, let us know what other questions you may have.

Tucker,

My airline has been running a scholarship program for employees and their dependents for a few years now. Of course it is not handed out to everyone, and it is not $100k, but it does reimburse a small portion of your tuition.
Other than that I haven’t heard of any other programs of the sort, continuing your education does not benefit the company all that much so I can’t imagine anybody forking over free cash in large amounts.

Yarden

Is a college degree from another country vaild at ATP flight school and major and regional airlines when getting hired. What do i have to do to make it valid, and how long does it usually take. Is it possible?

Alex,

I do know pilots who were educated in other countries and have had their degree validated so yes it is definitely possible. Now how you go about getting them validated is a whole other subject. I recommend you do some Googling as I’m just a guy that flys da plane :slight_smile:

Adam

Alex,

It shouldn’t be a problem, as long as your degree is equivalent to a four year US degree. I would think there is some standard on this, so I would look it up if I were you.

Chris

by equivalent do you mean bachelors or it just needs to be 4 years? And do u know any pilots who studied in another country and trained in the U.S ?

Im just confused does it matter what degree , or does it just need to be 4 years at least?

A “four year degree” refers to a bachelor’s degree, also known as an undergraduate degree. Just going to school for four years won’t cut it, you need to get a degree at the end.

So is everything is possible for me? , because id have a bachelor’s in another country but validated in the US. Im already a U.S citizen and my dad is from the U.S. but and i have a highschool diploma here from the U.S. I can be hired by Airlines in the U.S and also be accepted in atp? I do have the legal documentations and everything to work here. Im just moving to another country for family reasons and ima get my bachelors there. I studied in the U.S almost all my life i moved here when i was 3 and i lived here for 14 years. Im an american citizen.

Alex,

You will need to meet ATP’s criteria to be eligible for their program. This is two years of school or work experience, or having a PPL. I cannot speak to the viability of applying to the major airlines based on a foreign college degree as I am really just not familiar with how foreign degrees are recognized, I am sure that it varies widely by country and institution.

Part of being a pilot is presenting a professional image, this is extends to how one speaks and writes. As such, please use proper capitalization, punctuation, spelling, and grammar when posting on the forum.

Chris

I have a bachelors degree, but unfortunately didn’t make commission while apply for navy. So took my talents to Air Force enlisted. My dream is to become a pilot for a commercial airline. While active duty, what is the best approach to attaining this? Also my wife works for American Airlines as a flight attendant. She told me about Envoy and how they have cadet programs. Anyway, how can I put myself in the best position to move forward? Thanks in advance !!!

Donnell,

I have no idea what your schedule is like being on Active Duty but I would think flight training would be difficult if not impossible (at least full-time). While you may be able to do a small amount of part-time training that can often be frustrating and expensive. Envoy (and other Regionals) do have programs to get you into the airlines, you still need to do your pilot training and earn all your licenses and rating prior. I think it could be a matter of waiting till your commitment is complete.

Adam

Do you know were can I can find Atp’s criteria so that I know i’m eligible? Also what is PPL?