Electronic Logbook

Not sure if this has been asked, but what do airline pilots tend to favor for logbooks? Are there still a lot of traditional paper logbooks or more electronic?

Any particular paper or electronic logbook that any of you highly recommend?

Ryan

Ryan,

I am old fashioned and like the Jeppesen pilot log books, particularly the large one. I know that many people have switched to electronic logbooks that they later print out, but I would say that the vast majority of pilots still use the paper logbooks.

Chris

Ryan,

Chris is right and many (not sure if it’s most anymore?) pilots still use the traditional paper. It’s also probably easier during training because you’ll be receiving a bunch of endorsements (sign offs) for a variety of things (solos, ratings, checkrides) and many of the examiners are old school and want to see an actual signature. BUT, I encourage you (and anyone else listening) to start an electronic log book ASAP. This was advice I received early and it has served me very well. You see the reason many (most?) pilots still use paper is because they’ve used that for years. Many want to transition when they move on to the airlines but to transfer the 1500 hrs + worth of data to the E-log is frankly a major pain in the butt. I started early (actually doing both) and then went E-log only and it’s infinitely easier. I use LogBook Pro, it has a app on my cell which I can DL my flights, I simply fill in the actual times and when I’m done it sync’s with the master on my PC. One of the best features is every time you go for a checkride, type rating etc (even upgrade at the airlines) you need to fill out an FAA 8710 form which asks questions like how much night IMC single engine etc. The program has an 8710 button you simply press and it prints one out completely filled in. Same when you go for a medical or apply to an airline. They all ask for how much flying have you done in the last 6 mos, year etc. Again it’s simply a key stroke and you’ve got it exactly. Lastly most of the pilots I fly with now are done. This is the airline and the aircraft they’re retiring on and keeping up a log book isn’t worth the effort. I want to know what, where, who and how much I’ve flown when all is said and done. The E-log makes it simple to keep up. Well worth the price of admission.

Adam

2 Likes

Thanks again Adam and Chris!

Ryan,

I personally have both paper and electronic. It helps me make sure the times are correct by comparing them every time I finish a page in the paper one.

For paper I use the big Jeppesen log book with the green pages. LogTen Pro is the electronic one, it is compatible with SkyWest’s scheduling software so I can download all the times directly from the airline’s database.

Yarden

2 Likes

ATP is working to provide integration with LogTen Pro based on our training records for both students and instructors.

Also, ForeFlight has recently added a pilot logbook capability. ForeFlight is a requirement in the ACPP.

Despite all these tech options, pilot examiners (DPEs) still have an affinity for the old fashioned Jeppesen pilot logbook. One is included in the “box of books” sent to you by ATP at the time of scheduling.

1 Like

Not sure if this has been asked or not but does the intro flight count towards the hours? I did my intro flight in October (which was a great experience that helped me decide to persue this career) and was not sure if that flight hour counted?

Evelyn

Evelyn,

As a “student” your instructor needs to sign off on your flights. IF you have a logbook and received some instruction and IF the instructor signs said logbook then yes, but you can’t just log it yourself.

Adam

Ok. Thanks Adam!