Employment history question

Hi everyone, I had a question about airline hiring and employment history.

I’m 24, turning 25 in a few weeks, and after high school I’ve mostly been in and out of college and finishing up flight school (for my PPL). Due to this I never really worked year-round because it didn’t work well with my college schedule, and because I was in school and didn’t have any qualifications or education just yet I always worked seasonal entry-level positions and never held any higher-level “professional” positions if you know what I mean. Currently though I am working year-round and have been for about a year (I’m not in any school right now) but it’s still entry-level, I’m working here while waiting to be issued a 1st class medical (deferred due to a medical history) and as soon as I get it (if I do) I’m looking to enroll to ATP at the Trenton NJ location.

After I finish flight school, have all my hours and ratings, etc when I finally am able to interview for airlines far in the future, will this spotty employment history give me problems or hurt my odds of being hired? Thank you in advance.

You’ll be fine, I believe most want the last 5 years of job history, so you might have more to fill out than others but I don’t think it will be an issue.

Good luck with the medical.

Atp Trenton Alumni,
Chris F

Anthony,

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. You’re young but know that you may be asked about it in an interview. You don’t mention whether or not you finished college and have a 4yr degree? If not that’s something you will need to do or your career could be very limited.

Adam

Anthony,

I do not see this as being an issue at all. Your reason for the employment history makes sense and honestly, the airlines are going to be more concerned with your flight time and qualifications than where you worked during college.

Chris

Sounds good. I had a feeling my work history would be justifiable because of my time in school but I just wanted to ask to make sure. Also no I don’t have a college degree, life got in the way and I wasn’t really able to graduate. By limited do you just mean between regionals and majors? My impression is that flying for the regionals is doable without a degree, but it’s virtually impossible to fly for the majors without at least a four year degree. I was planning on doing online school while flying at the regionals. I hear this is a very common approach.

Anthony,
I agree with the others, the work history is justified when putting school first. It will be a small detail on a resume. They will be more interested with your flight training record and your college degree. You’re right, the regionals you can get by without one but you’re really going to need it if you want to make it to a major. Online during your time at the regionals is tough but doable.

-Hannah

Anthony,

It is just wanted to make certain you were aware.

Adam