Equipments for a student pilot

Hi everyone!
Im going to start my flight training in florida very soon. What kind of tablets should I have? Ipad mini or galaxy tabs will do the job. Do I need to have my own headset? Thank you

Abdur,

If you’re training at a school other than ATP, you should consult with that school. If you will be doing your training with ATP, you will need a headset and an iPad. Please see the attached for other required items:

Adam

Abdur,

As Adam mentioned, you will need an Aviation Headset and an Apple iPad. The apps and software we use in the plane and for training are not supported on Android/Samsung. The size of iPad is up to you, it’s a debate when it comes time to headset/iPads, find the one that you can afford and like, stick with it.

Brady

Thank you very much sir, that was very helpful

Abdur,

The link posted above will detail all the materials you should have as a student pilot. The big three: headset, iPad and knee board.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Hannah

Abdur,

Keep in mind that you can’t go too small with the iPad, but you can go too big. I wouldn’t get anything bigger than the 11” Pro. Personally I used a mini when I was in the program.

Tory

1 Like

I love my iPad Mini, and still use it to this day.

Brady

1 Like

Hi @Brady

There’s a 64 and 256 GB iPad Mini and the difference in price is considerable, do you think the 256 GB of memory will be necessary at some point?

Thanks,

Francisco,

I rock the 256GB only because I do have over 10,000 photos/videos on my iCloud (LOL) and it’s synced to my iPhone. Plus I have everything downloaded on ForeFlight, if you’re only looking for it to be used for training/flying I say 64GB, but 256GB wouldn’t hurt if you want to use the iPad for other things. :slight_smile:

Update: I went into my storage settings and my ForeFlight storage constitutes to 54GB, that’s with practically everything ForeFlight offers downloaded. I rather have it than not.

Brady

Thanks Brady

I would go with the 256 GB then

I have a 64GB Ipad and every time there is an update on Foreflight (monthly) I have to wait until the day the previous version expires in order to download the update since there is not enough room on my ipad.

Is the Apple Pencil necessary? Do you use your IPad to take notes while flying?

Thanks

Francisco,

The only real-time I use my Apple Pencil inflight was to write an ATIS/AWOS or IFR clearance. I typically briefed all approach and airport diagrams to where my lesson intended to prior flight so I did both finger/pencil. I tried to be as prepared for flight as I could be. I have seen students use “generic” pencils that could be purchased on Amazon or in-store that were not name brand. I will be honest, I haven’t used my Apple Pencil in my off time while flying.

As an instructor I found myself using our Flight Tracker pads which were pen/pencil and kept for documentation purposes.

Brady

I just checked. My mini is 16GB! ForeFlight has come a long way.

Tory

Tory,

I don’t think they make any iPad 16GB anymore, that was soooo iPad Mini 2 or 3. :wink:

Brady

1 Like