Extra Pilot Benefits

I have a question about leisure hotel stays. I have heard that pilots can get a crew rate at hotels even when they are not currently flying routes (on vacation for example). Do these crew rates only work at hotels near the airport that have agreements to house the crew on layovers or are they available at any hotel?

It’s too bad airlines don’t let you book your own hotels for your traveling because you would have so many points you would never need to pay for a hotel haha.

Cameron,

We don’t get crew rates at my airline, but most hotels will honor the stay (while on duty) toward their rewards points program.

Tory

Cameron,

Some hotels offer “crew rates”, some don’t. In my experience if it’s a hotel your airline actually uses for overnights they will offer the rate to crewmembers. You’re mistaken btw to assume most crew overnight hotels are near the airport. Many airlines have different hotels for “long” overnights and others for “short” overnights as is often required by contract. While the "short’ overnight hotels will be close to the airport to maximize available rest, “long” overnights will most often be closer/in the city or elsewhere where there are things for crews to do. Also many airlines have a agreements with airline only travel services (ie, ID90) that often offer great rates at any hotel, as well as rental cars and other services.

As for points some hotels will allow some reward point privileges. As for booking your own hotel I’m sure whatever airline you work for will be happy to allow you to book and pay for your own room any time you like. Me, I’d rather save the $100 a night but if you really want those points…

Adam

Tory,

Have you asked? I’ve gotten crew rates around the World but you have to ask.

Adam

Adam,

Oh I meant that the pilot would book, but then get reimbursed for the cost so they would get all of the rewards haha.

Where you have seen crew rates, is it usually a flat amount or a percentage off the current room price?

Cameron

I haven’t, but remember being told during indoc to not expect crew rates.

Cameron,

They usually quote you a rate, how they derive it I couldn’t say.

Adam

Tory,

I’d ask, I ALWAYS do but then again I’m cheap :wink:

Adam

1 Like

I’ve never had to ask. Been too busy trying to get my hours in. Will keep that in mind though. Thanks.

Tory

1 Like

Cameron,

We do get crew rates at many hotels. Sometimes it is a good deal, other times not. I have not had any success in getting credit for the nights stays when the company pays for it.

I for one am glad that we do not book our own hotels as that would be a logistical nightmare.

Chris