Family life during training

I am in the process of making a career change, going into aviation from banking. I have a 4 y/o at home and will be bringing him and his mother along for the ride. I am wondering how I can prep them (if it’s even possible) for the next couple of years. I have read as much as possible regarding the “life of a pilot” and realize that it is not your normal 9-5 and they realize I wont be home every night for dinner and a bedtime story. I want to be able to give them the brighter side of dad becoming a pilot, while being honest about everything.

2 Likes

Josh,

I won’t lie, the first few years will be tough but after that it does get better, much better. One of the things I’ve enjoyed (once I gained some seniority) was being home for long stretches of days vs just weekends. I generally block my days off together so I get whole weeks off. That allows me more time for projects at home (makes the wife happy) and more QT with the kids. Additionally I’ve taken my family on some AMAZING trips. While anyone can go on vacation most people don’t take their boys on a day trip to Florida for a Spring Training game. Or their daughter shopping at the Mall of America when she can’t find the right shoes at home. We’ve had lunch in Charleston because we saw a restaurant on the Food Network and gotten impossible concert tickets that were sold out in NY but not in Boise. I could go on but I think you get the point.

Yes they’ll be some sacrifice but my kids have told me how fortunate they are to have had a dad who flys :slight_smile:

Adam

4 Likes

Thanks Adam!

1 Like