Favorite and least favorite part of being an airline pilot?

For all of the current airline pilots on this forum. What are y’all’s favorite and least favorite parts of being one? Curious to hear different and similar takes on the job!
Thanks!
Garner

1 Like

Garner,

As someone who’s fairly senior, I like every aspect of my job. My only complaints had been scheduling issues but once you reach a certain seniority they pretty much go away. Life is better than good! :grinning:

Adam

1 Like

Garner,

From a junior pilot standpoint and being on reserve, I wish I was flying a bit more until I can hold a line. :slight_smile: One of the best parts of the job is exploring new cities that you’ve never been to and getting to meet a LOT of people, not just coworkers, but passengers too.

Brady

1 Like

Garner,

Favorites:

• Hand flying fun approaches into hard to reach airports.
  • Having good times with co-workers in training and on over-nights.
  • The money isn’t bad (once at a certain level) lol.
  • Getting people safely to their destination after overcoming multiple obstacles always feels great.
  • Flight benefits. I’ve taken 1st class to South Africa and Israel for just the cost of taxes!

Dislikes:

• Scheduling. I play hockey, and it is hard to join a team as a player or coach because my schedule varies so drastically every month. IMO Spirits QOL policies are the best when it comes to controlling your schedule even with JR seniority. Hoping United really steps it up in current contract negotiations.
  • Certain hotels / bad rooms. When they are not really clean or the shower water never gets hot.

Aviation has multiple career paths that vary greatly in Quality of Life, Pay, Risk, etc. So when coming up in the industry you do have options to move around if one does not fit the lifestyle you want. Just realize there are pros and cons to every option as well as a cost to delaying finding/making the “right choice” for you.

Chris F

2 Likes

Garner,

I like flying airplanes and going to different places. The pay is good and at this point, my schedules are pretty decent.

On the dislikes side I have missed quite a few events due to scheduling, although that is getting better with time.

Chris

1 Like