Feb ‘23 start KOGD

Rob,

Congratulations! That is fantastic!

On a side note, those mountains in the background look amazing.

Thank you for the update, keep up the good work.

Chris

Rob,

First off, beautiful background landscape you have at the training center. The snow cap mountains are gorgeous.

Secondly, congratulations on the Private Pilot Certificate! Now it’s time to kick into instrument training and skill building. I always found it a personal challenge to stay ahead of the airplane, if it was quiet, I always thought, “what can I do?” Please keep us posted on your progress, great way to check in!

Brady

Brady

Haven’t checked in in a while, few things to update.

First off, did manage to pass my instrument checkride, 2nd time unfortunately, had an unsat on the oral for missed approach procedure while circling. Got me on a technicality (my opinion lol), got me a little flustered with a previous question and I was talking through my thought process and I mentioned “flying the published missed” (which is absolutely 100% wrong and unsafe) and I corrected myself but that was enough for the unsat. No big deal (aside from having to pay again of course) but went back 3 days later and finished up the oral and crushed the flight. On to crew.

Been about a month now and I’m just getting around to finishing up crew. Taking a bit longer than I would’ve hoped but I’m responsible for 6 of those days (short vacation and some Dr appts), so it is what it is. The flying has been enjoyable and the people have been great. Had a flight cancel the other day for one of those you’ll never guess” reasons, so I be got a good story from my crew time at least.

Looking forward to getting my last couple of hours knocked out Wednesday and moving on into commercial and hopefully into CFI by the end of the month!

Oh and just today I accepted my offer into the Frontier Cadet Program! Looking forward to jumping right into the a320 after 1500 hours!

2 Likes

Rob,

Welcome back, it’s nice to hear from you. Checkride failures do happen; however, it is what you learn from them, and knowledge gained to better improve for next time. Take that UNSAT oral and improve it for your commercial, the checkride oral will be a little more detailed and in-depth than the instrument… remember, you’re an applicant that wants to earn money flying now.

Congratulations on the acceptance to Frontier (F9)! I have had a few colleagues of mine switch and say it’s nice over there and many fellow instructors I have took instruction from have enjoyed their time as well.

Brady

1 Like

Rob,

Thank you for the update and congratulations on Frontier!

Chris

1 Like

Figured I could add an update with all of my downtime. DPE shortage is hitting us hard here in the DFW area, got endorsed for my commercial checkride about 3 weeks ago and finally have it scheduled for next Wednesday. Feeling good about it, have been using my time well by keeping up with the studying and getting a little head start on some CFI stuff that was shared with me. Mostly just relieved that the checkride is finally scheduled, not a big fan of sitting and waiting as much as I have been since the crew phase, but it is what it is and just gotta roll with it.

Looking forward to passing next week and moving on to CFI and multi at Arlington, or one of the other locations possibly. Hoping I can get through these last phases a little quicker than what’s being communicated right now, even if it means going on the road for a bit.

1 Like

Rob,

Thank you for the update, let us know how the checkride goes. I understand the delays can befrustrating, I would feel the same way. I would have thought the FAA would have resolved this by now, but it is the government after all.

Chris

1 Like

Honestly, just keep reminding myself it could be far worse. I know a few people at small part 61 schools who have been waiting months.

My background is DoD contracting, all too familiar with how quick and efficient our government is haha

Rob,

You mention the shortage and delay, continue using this time to hone in on the knowledge and skills you have. The training center is your best resource, get on that AATD and practice flows, maneuvers, emergency scenarios. Don’t hesitate to even get in the training center and even meet with new students, find out what they’re struggling with and practice teaching or giving them tips and tricks that have helped you. This will only serve you well as you enter the checkride with a positive attitude, good karma, and a skill set that you will develop in the coming weeks.

Please let us know how things go when you get to the checkride. Patience is a virtue, friend.

Brady

2 Likes

“Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can, seldom found in women, never found in man” - my grandma, and probably many others :joy:

Steve,

I am a foot taller than my grandmother and she reminds me many times that good things come in small packages, including dynamite. I don’t test her. :smiling_face:

Brady

1 Like

Figured I’d come give a quick update…officially completed the program earlier this week! Was certainly not the quick finish I had hoped for in one of my last posts, but that’s just how it goes. I did manage to get through CFI, MEL add on, MEI, and CFII unscathed so very happy with how things went down at Arlington. I was very fortunate to have a handful of very helpful instructors over the last 3-4 months, so kudos to them as well.

Wife and I also welcomed our first, a little boy, just over a month ago and now we’re packing up to move back to Florida to be closer to family. Talking to ATP about my options to instruct for them and also looking into other instructing opportunities in the area we will be living in. Looking forward to the time building process and getting to Frontier asap!

1 Like

Rob,

Congratulations on multiple fronts! I am glad that you were happy with the program. I hope you continue to have success in the airline industry and look forward to further updates from you.

Chris

1 Like

Rob,

Congrats on the completion of program and the newborn! Please keep us posted as you get an opportunity, would love to hear where you end up and head in the airlines.

Brady

1 Like