Feb ‘23 start KOGD

Figured I’d go ahead and get an experience thread started; from my own experience it’s these actual student accounts that seem to be the most helpful for those interested in the program.

Still about a month until I start and should have my PAR (used Sporty’s) exam scheduled by the end of this week (coordinating with one of the instructors at my ATP location since he’s been very helpful) and started cruising through the material for IRA and CAX with Shepard.

Beyond excited to get this new adventure under way!

1 Like

Rob,

Thank you for updating us. With a month to go you should be able to knock a few of the writtens out of the way.

Please share your experiences as you go through the program.

Chris

Rob,

Congratulations on the start date and thank you for your interest in sharing your student experience. The student experience section is the best place other than meeting firsthand with students to discuss and learn about ATPs student life. Sounds like you’re off to a great start if you get that PAR completed by the end of this week, and then the IRA and CAX will have you way ahead of the curve. Please keep us posted when you get a chance on everything.

Brady

Rob,

Glad to hear the student experiences section has been impactful to you and you’re already thinking about giving back by sharing your own insights for those to come.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress once you get going!

Hannah

Had my first day yesterday and my first sim session in the Frasca, all went really well. Finished up my lessons for day 2 just a bit ago, which included my first flight (fundamentals) and I’m still on cloud 9. Instructor let me try my first takeoff and, while not the best, it was a success (really gotta stay on that right rudder lol). I really started to get pretty comfortable flying the airplane once I relaxed a bit after the takeoff. Did Started getting a pretty good feel for how the plane wanted to be trimmed out in turns, climbs, and descents and nailed a couple of steep turns which felt really good. Beyond excited to keep learning and getting better, and one day in the very near future successfully complete my first landing

Oh, I did also pass my PAR exam a few weeks ago. Very glad I did that as I couldn’t imagine having to cram all of that studying into the first 22 days of this program on top of everything being thrown at us.

Rob,

I am glad it is going well. Make sure you do not have a death grip on that yoke, many new pilots do and it makes it harder. Relax your grip and think through the movements. Full disclosure here, sometimes I have to remind myself to relax my grip, especially when I flew the A320.

Thanks for the update, keep them coming.

Chris

2 Likes

Rob,

Sounds like a great first few days! Glad to hear you’re already incorporating trim in to each phase of flight! Can’t go wrong with “pitch, power, trim”. It’s the poor man’s autopilot and will be your best friend. You can also utilize it in steep turns, but that’s just technique.

Hannah

1 Like

Rob,

Congratulations on passing your PAR written the other week!

One tip that I learned while instructing was if I could slip a pencil/pen between the yoke and your grip, then you have a comfortable grip/hand position. The one problem that new student pilots tend to have been white knuckle. You will learn to use trim the second you start climbing out off the runway.

Brady

1 Like